Ice Fish Ohio Forum

river fishing for walleye

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
does anyone ever fish the rivers when the walleye run starts?
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I fish the rivers and the spillways a lot in the early spring. I use a medium action rod with 10lb fireline, I like the fireline cause you feel everything and there's no stretch so hook sets are solid. The tackle I use is usually a jig and twister, chartreuse head with a white tail being my favorite colors, I also use a live bait rig when ever possible. With all the high waters lately the fishing is really going to pick up once the levels drop to a fish able level. Be careful when wading there were two guys at hoover that had to be rescued yesterday when they ignored the warning horn.   
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

TURKEY09

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Mitch check out OGF there seems to be alot of discussion on there about river walleye fishing. I will be hitting the spillway at Charles Mill. I haven't done it in years but I used to catch some nice saugeye there.  ;D
turkey09

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I fish the dusky and the maumee regularly
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
river fishing is great :D i love rivers....cant wait for the temp to hit the magic number for spawn 8) wally,white bass especially...already have my waders out , my bionix rod, now all i need to do is hit the lottery for gas :P i will have to try fireline like u guys  ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
please let me know when they move in i would like to try it for my first time what do you use for bait?
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
I hit the maumee 3 x a week, since it is 10 min from home.
Check out maumeetackle.net it will give you whatever info you need, very informative.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thanx bigice ill check that site, i love to fish maumee and dusky,but akron is 2hrs so my trips have to work out just rite, i also use jigs with white tails 3-4 inch, or floating jig on bottom sinker u know the long skinney ones with swivels on both ends, baited or plain. somrtimes vibes, rattle traps, ;D just watch the day and month because only single hook with a certain size untill may 1  :-\ read the odnr rules very carefully for the river u plan to fish.....as the fun police hide in the bushes watching everyone >:( if you never fished the spawn and you get there just rite it will wear u out and spoil u  :D :P .....and when the white bass run its not uncommon to catch 100 + a day 8)
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar