Ice Fish Ohio Forum

perch at indian

crv423 · 8 · 5104

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
everyone says the saugeye fishing at indian is the best and i have to agree, but the size of the perch there are unbeleiveble, on a recent trip i cauaght a 10'' perch and thought that was big until a few minutes later i caught one that hit 13'', and saw a guy next to me catch one that had to be pushing 16'' and i wouldn't doubt it was over 2lbs, to me thats awesome. in the softwater season im a diehard eye chaser but after seeing that i will be makeing several trips to indian in search of those monster, wall hanging perch. if you ask me indian has the best perch in ohio, anyone who says lake erie is better hasnt been to indian.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
6ft deep at crannberry, right in with the eyes, they are so big i dont think they worry about getting ate, does anyony know of a better perch spot.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

JustNutts

WOW! Ive heard stories and Ive caught some nice perch but NOTHING like that

let it freeze

• View Profile

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
the ones i caught were on a small panfish jig six inches below a minnow, below a bobber, the minnow keeps the jig moveing so i can consitrate on jigging for eyes. it usally will get me an extra 3 to4 fish a trip, even eyes often will be lured in with the jigging and decide they would rather have a minnow.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

overcheck

• View Profile
sounds like good way to get more fish . I will give it a try. ty for the info

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Growing up on indian lake was great, I remember fishing for perch and catfish with my grandma and grandpa. They had a "party barge" and we'd load it up with poles of all sorts, some jigs, nightgrawlers, shrimp or "Skrimps" as I like to call them, and some immitation Krab sticks. 

I swear I'll never forget the first big perch I caught off of Orchard Is. The lake really does have monster perch and very good numbers at that. Another good area is Paradise Is. which is where my PB perch came from when I was in high school, got it tightlining on a bass minnow.
Other good areas depending on season are Pew Is. and Long Is. The holes out in the open water between Lake Ridge Is. and Minnewaken have good perch fishing during hard water as well. In all actuality you're liable to catch anything and everything out there this time of year. Good luck if you try!

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown