Ice Fish Ohio Forum

BIG BIG Saugeye

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Just wanted to get your attention on this subject. I was fishing earlier today (3rd shifter) ,saw a guy snag a good size saugeye in the belly of the fish, it was very obvious even to the blind, he kept the fish and  even went on to show a few guys his trophy, blood still coming from the hook site, now as a true sportsman to this, do you and are you supposed to keep it or release it. I' ve been on the release side  and seeing how this is a fine on the maumee river I think this is what we should practice.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
it is elegal to snag fish, i know of i guy going to court today for that same reason his was in the head but was still considered snaged, the ranger said the hook has to be in the mouth, the max fine is 250 and 30 days in jail.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
SNAGGING with a hook to pierce and hook a fish in a part of the body other than the inside of the mouth is illegal for all fish except forage fish. In Lake Erie, it is also illegal to snag freshwater drum. Snagging is illegal from September 1 to April 30 in the Ashtabula River, Chagrin River, Grand River, Rocky River, Vermilion River, Arcola Creek, Conneaut Creek, Cowles Creek, Euclid Creek, Indian Creek, Turkey Creek, and Wheeler Creek. Hooks may not be larger than five-eighths inch from shank to point.

Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Don't take any chances
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Team Mac

I think this is moraly unethical...Snagging and keeping when you know it is wrong is just bad for the sport and bad for the image of all sportsman...I have personally snagged a few giant sauguye below the spillwayand have relaesed them all...

Good fishing

Scott and andrew

Vexilar