Ice Fish Ohio Forum

wingfoot

spoonchucker

• View Profile
im thinking about trying wingfoot out monday, but would really like to hit it earlier. waiting  for my pink maggots and red eurolarva, but might not wait that long. i know its a morning, evening thing, but has anyone tryed minnows? might just go sit on a bucket tonight. will post results if i make it

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have had no luck with minnows there. They bite so lite that its hard to tell when there biting because of the action of the minnow. If you sight fish you may have better luck with them
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

spoonchucker

• View Profile
thanks for the input, was gonna try small ones but i might scratch that idea. i have regular maggots and waxworms, but a bait shop around here has the orange phase fathead minnows, he calls them pink ( they might be, i am a little color blind) but was gonna see if he had real small ones, last year they outfished the normal fatheads 4to 1, was just a thought ???

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have done great with white and red maggots and small jigs and swedish pimples

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

spoonchucker

• View Profile
i had noticed that people were saying red was good so i ordered pink maggots and red eurolarva just for that lake. i would also imagine that 2 lb test and smaller jigs would be better in water as clear as everyone says it is. i had stopped when i was at my Dr up in Akron, didnt get to fish as i had no bait and needed to change into warmer cloths, but from what i saw it looked very worth the drive. were you getting perch on the pimples?

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Its about 50/50 on the perch. Some caught on the pimple some on the small jigs. they really like glow red

spoonchucker

• View Profile
i really like the results  i have gotten from red glow, earlier this year i saw a site that had orange glow and a couple other glows i had never seen, but i didnt pick any up. maybe next year on that. again thanks for your input, and i would really like to fish the get together tourny on the 5th but im not sure if i will have all my kids or just some... may  stop up that day and just fish or help depending on the kid situation

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Its not going to be a tourney. We are just all getting together fishing, food, and fun. If we have a tourney were supposed to get a permit. If everyone wants to throw a few bucks in a pot im sure we can do something

spoonchucker

• View Profile
oh ok i wasnt real sure. im new here, but really like this site. still up in the air about tonight, wanted to wait and see if my bait comes so they dont freeze to death while im out  :(  but my sugars are high enough that i may take my shanty. after the drag and the drilling, i might be spent. thats the reason i dont like to go alone. if i do go i will post results wheather good or bad

ice phisher

• View Profile
spoonchucker...were the minnows you were thinking about..... the ones they call Rosey Reds? My buddy Mark has them in his shop when they are available from his supplier (but not generally in the winter).I fished an outing at wingfoot this passed weekend.......and finished in the upper part of the pack and I caught every single fish on a Marmish "FANG" Jig.....light green in color and tipped with only one or two red maggots......I also changed to one red and one white maggot  as darkness fell......Most of my buddies also fished the red maggots. I also fish the Fireline Micro Ice Crystal Line in 1lb. test which has the diameter of 1/4 test......Super light line.....fishes light jigs with ease and telegraghs bites in an instant.....Draw backs....hard to see for older eyes (to tie jigs on)and can tangle easily if mis-handled.......
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i was at wingfoot the other day, there were some nice perch could watch them on camera come up and bump minnows and maggotts with their nose back off and just chillin,tried all kinds of stuff  had rosie minnows also got those at pet shop crappies started slammin minnows about dark for a little while then quit. watched a big bass take a swipe at minnow, also big catfish came over didnt hit anything. wound up getting some good gills and handfull small crappies..should have tried stinger set up with small bait those perch would just slurp minnow and spit it before i could set hook ,,,im going to try some different line  any  ideas on what to use?????
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

spoonchucker

• View Profile
ice phisher, thats what somebody else told me,rosie reds, so i looked it up and that was them. the bait guy i know might still have some, he had them all winter last year. is that marks near mogador that you were talking about? about the line, i would have to look at it, my eyesight varies with my blood sugars, so some days i leave because i got everything tangled or broke off. i like to carry at least 2 extra already rigged poles with me just in case that happens. im using trilene micro ice now.                                                       @ snowcone, the line mentioned in the post above looks pretty good if your eyes are good, i was always a firm believer in trilene, but the XT doesnt seem to be as "T" as it use to be. * tough                                                            thank you all for the input, i didnt make it up there tonight, probably wont til monday, but will post results when i do go. good luck and be safe

SlabJunkie

• View Profile
these have been the hot ticket for me on Wingfoot this year. havent tried the dropper rig yet hoping it gets me some more gills. the crappie will come in and hit them at 100mph. and if they miss they will turn around and come back and get it. had several fish miss it multiple times some of them i would turn around 5-6 times after they keep misssin in. its crazy!
SlabJunkie

Pro Staff
icefishohio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ok guys i finally put berkley xl 4lb on 2 rods to try it out, if i dont have my glasses its tough to tie a knot on my shoes...ha ha.   i like those spoons looks killer, i have a favorit gold spoon and some gold pin mins that i cant find now...pulled a good one today stopped at the pipe rack for minnows an maggies and walked out without my mags   duh ?....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

spoonchucker

• View Profile
hit wingfoot today, caught the tail end of the morning bite, and stayed til 8:30. green and glow seemed to do the trick with red maggots, kept 35 crappie, 15 bluegill, and 7 perch. not a bad day, crappie turned on at the end. was in 12 fow, stayed in one spot all day :)

Vexilar