Ice Fish Ohio Forum

gonna try the night bite at alum docks tomorrow if any one is intreasted

jiggin junkie

• View Profile
Gonna try the night bite at the docks tomorrow night after work. Any one ever have any luck after dark on the crappies out there?

jiggin junkie

• View Profile
Two nice crappie right off the bat took about an hour and a half to get the rest to bite. I used my coon light spot light to alluminate the water. In the hole I was fishing, soon after I turned the light on the bite got hot! Had a hold of a nice eye but it broke my 2lb test at the hole. Might try again this coming weekend if anyone is interasted .

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I wouldnt mind hitting it, I work third but have some time off for christmas and have the weekends off. Post before you go and Ill try and make it.

Hillbilly

• View Profile
jiggin junkie,
if its something you wanna pursure, invest in a floating light. Its just a basic brake light in a foam casing. Great for crappie fishing, all seasons.
Ive saw walleye, big and small swim under those lights at night, you went one step further than i ever have, in hooking 1 under lights.

I have done well in fishing NEAR a night light, but never under one for predator fish.

Keep in mind any light under the water(or ice) works in a cone. Your larger fish will always be at the "egde" of the light cone.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:41:24 PM by Hillbilly »

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have always wanted to fish it at night.

I have stayed an hour after dark and it was always a dead time. I used to fish the Galena dock at night and the crappies would start up around 10 pm.

What time did you get out and fish till?

I never tried the lights but would love to see it work.

Keep us posted and i am sure we could get a group to go.

Thanks for the invite.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I have one of those floating lights if I can find it....only thing they run off a car battery kinda a pain to carry around. I have had decent luck using just a lantern

jiggin junkie

• View Profile
I started at around 530pm until about 9pm they were starting to pick up around 630, and I had a study bite until I left. I use to fish a lot in Indiana and Michigan at night. I always kept my lantern next to the hole in my shanty, but with out being in the shanty I figured the coon light was the next best option.

jiggin junkie

• View Profile
I have always seemed to do better on crappie and big gills after dark through the ice.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I can honestly say I've never caught a gill after dark. Just attributed it to the fact that they are a fish they is preyed on. I have caught plenty of nite crappie tho.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
in my experience, some lakes are better than others for crappies after dark. some are on fire, some are dead. bluegills normally don't bite after dark, but i've caught a few. it's fishing, and anything can happen.

Vexilar