Ice Fish Ohio Forum

vex charger?

jiggin junkie

• View Profile
I have some how lost my vex charger, is there any type of charger I could get from Walmart to get me by until I can purchase another one.

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
I don't know about walmart but TSC had a charger last year for charging deer feeders for around $20 and they use the same style batteries.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Batteries are 12 volt, 9ah, so you can go to Walmart and get a motorcycle trickle charger with small alligator clips. ;)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

quackpot

• View Profile
I don't know where you keep it but I made a cord that plugges in to my lighter in the truck that keeps mine charged at all times. It works wonderful

toadfish

• View Profile
I would think about any low amp 12V charger would be OK as long as you monitor the voltage while charging and don't overcharge.

The original Zercom charger that came with my FL-8 in 1994 has a 500 mA output at 12VDC.  The only problem I had with it was watching the battery condition monitor while charging.  My new FL-20 has an automatic charger that puts out 13.5 VDC at 1A.

You might want to check your nearest Radio Shack to see if they have something.

If you would want my old charger, I would be happy to let you have it for a small fee.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Cabelas had their ice batteries on sale with charger for $20, they are backordered currently but a heck of a deal.
Otherwise, Harbor freight sells a small battery maintainer that has enough amperage to charge the ice batteries.  Or you can use any small charger just unplug it when it is charged to prevent overcharging if it doesn't have auto shutoff.  I use my boat charger on the 2 amp setting, about 3 hours if the batteries are fully spent. 
Merry Christmas!
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar