Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Live bait

Showdown · 21 · 11430

ice phisher

• View Profile

WELL PUT MARK.......Bait shop owners put in long hours.....if they are lucky enough.....some manage to have some kind of part time help (most can't afford to pay for that luxury) In the winter months, it's pretty much a disaster waiting to happen. NO ICE.... LIKE LAST SEASON and they are in a whole new world of hurt.....I'm very lucky to have grown up fishing the era that I have......considering WE HAD MUCH LESS/USED AND NEEDED MUCH LESS......and still managed to catch tons of fish.....but thats only because that's all that was available to us......But we grew up with BAIT SHOP OWNERS that were able to take care of our needs WHY?.....Cause they were the "FIRST" place we went for our hunting and fishing needs.....No BIG BOX STORES to compete with (THERE WEREN'T ANY) and then the very first one's came and the bait shop owners were in peril.....NOT FOR BAIT SALES....BUT FOR EVERY OTHER ITEM THAT THE BIG BOX STORES started adding to their inventories....ELECTRONICS/ROD & REELS/TACKLE/GUNS/AMMO/and so forth......
    Todays ice fishermen have $500+locators/$300+ cameras/$400+shantys/$400+ gas augers/and tons of other high dollar gear.....THAT IS ALL WELL AND GOOD.....and I FOR ONE AM GLAD THIS HAS EVOLVED and available to the newer generation as it makes it more enjoyable/productive/and comfortable.
    But now the Kicker....every likes to save a buck or so and elate at telling the world of super bargins they got...all well and good. But with the internet being what it is today....Trying to save 1.00 to even 3.00 or so, by buying bait (ON INTERNET BAIT SALES SITES) "WHICH IS THE CHEAPEST PART OF THE PUZZLE" from some one who has no common ties to our area  is laughable......AND SAD!!!!!!!!
    BUT,I GUESS UNTIL THE LAST BAIT SHOP CLOSES IT'S DOORS and NONE EXIST.... WILL THE REALITY OF THAT COME IN TO PLAY. BUT FOR NOW THE OWNERS WILL TRY TO KEEP THE DOORS OPEN BY WHAT EVER MEANS POSSIBLE>>>I.E, SELLING BEER/WINE/SNACKS/PROPANE...."LOOK AROUND... THERE ARE FEWER (BAIT SHOPS) TODAY THAT I CAN EVER REMEMBER".... "THINK HARD , CAUSE WHEN THE ICE IS GONE AND OPEN WATER RETURNS,.... "TRY TO GET YOUR CRAPPIE MINNOWS FROM A VENDING MACHINE IN A BIG BOX STORE" and some GOOD LOCAL INFORMATION THAT IS RELIABLE. "THESE SMALLER LOCAL INDIVIDUAL OWNED BAIT AND TACKLE OWNERS..... NEED TO BE SUPPORTED WITH EACH AND EVERY PURCHASE YOU CAN MAKE WITH THEM....SORRY FOR THE RANT.. BUT THE TRUTH HURTS......
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:38:20 PM by ice phisher »
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed, the bait shop I used to go to for Deer  Creek closed.  I was shocked to see it.  I'd been going there since I was a kid.  Very disappointing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
For an extra buck or two your local bait shop will put you on fish and that is priceless.  You support them and they will have your back!
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

paxpax

• View Profile
Here is my 2 cents worth... Yes you can save a couple dollars by buying online but what do you do if they are dead, small or just in bad shape? pay to have them shipped back and wait 10 to 14 days for a refund? The difference between buying online and buy from a local bait and tackle shop is LESS than the price of a cup of coffee and most bait shop will throw in the coffee for FREE! Ebay and online stores have their place when buying but sometime the local guy has the extra added value....Information and the desire to see that the customer is always treated right. Places likes Marks, Gone Fishin and Portage Lakes are getting far and few in between and when they are gone so is the information and being being treated like you matter!

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I sporadically fish and having bait shops in the area that are open and carry the right kind of bait is hard enough. Margins are so razor thin in the bait and tackle business that it's hard to keep the doors open. so I buy as much from local bait and tackle shops as I can to keep them in buisiness and keep bait at my fingertips in case I get a few hours to kill on the water..hard or soft.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar