Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 09:05:27 PM

Author Topic: Fishing at Long Island  (Read 4619 times)

blackice27

• Let's pop some holes!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Fishing at Long Island
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »

I went fishing today with my buddy jaybird62 and we caught 25 gill keepers man i am telling ya it was a great day for fishing at long island though the bite didn't hit until around the afternoon. We talked to another fellow as we were leaving the ice an he caught some great sized crappie bout 14 to 15 inches. All i can say is it was a great day!!!!!!!! Also we caught those fish on jigs that we picked up from bass pro shop in Toledo and jigs we got from Mikes bait shop at Indian Lake. So thanks Mike for the jigs
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:03:14 PM by blackice27 »
Patrick

blackice27

• Let's pop some holes!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing at Long Island
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »

also jaybird and i were talking he said that he was gonna post some pics of the catch.
Patrick

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »

Salmonoid and I were there the day before and housed 14 gills in a little over an hour - second pull off to the right, right behind the 1st island in about 5 fow. I also hooked into one of the crappie, but was fishing with a second jig on the same line and the jig hooked into the ice allowing the crappie to swim free and live another day....at least till those guys caught him :'( We had fun on Friday, glad to hear that it was about the same Saturday.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »

I was on Indian on saturday and caught 15 or so gills and a lot of little ones only 2 crappie but i was on the move alot and did not stay in one spot long my best jig was the white glow jig tipped with a red spike. I will be on Indian this whole week with my sons I have a 2 man yukon clam now so if you see me or wanna fish Indian call me thanks dan oh and by the way the ice is good 6 inches or more  but check it yourself before you go
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »

we hung around long island all day. wish we could have got onto the crappie like that other guy did.  the gills kept our spirit up though. had a nice one break off also.  line got wrapped around transducer. if i had to venture a guess  it was a two pound crappie.  black ice will vouch for me,  he thought the same thing.  lol
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

ICE COLD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »

3 of us fished Long Island area yesterday. Fished from 7-5:30. SLOW day. As soon as we got there my brother caught a 12" perch and we were thinking it was on. After that we only caught about 4 more keeper fish. We tried pony, North Fork, (which is pretty muddy water), long pond and a couple other places. It seemed the guys that stayed in one place the whole day did best. I saw a couple guys with about 15 keeper gills, but that was for the whole day. We caught a bunch of small gills and a lot of small white bass. Just walk around the ice and see where people are just leaving the white bass laying on the ice. Talked to a lot of people and no one was doing good. At Lucys they were catching a few more fish but still not big numbers.  Ice was 6-7" everywhere we went. At least it was good to be on the ice. 

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »

Fished dunns with ratherbe and my son not much hitting marked alot but no takers then went to blackhawk at 430 and got 2 nice saugeye they are under the saugeye entry going back in the morning
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar