Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Thought I would share some things I wrote

OIM · 9 · 5469

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I have been skimming the threads on the boards for the last few days and never really saw much talk about tungsten jigs or even plastics. Do you guys use these down that way. The rumor mill in the industry is that some big boys are finally going to get in on the tungsten jig thing this winter. Plastics wise there really only three companies that are doing these right for ice fishing with me favoring my friends over at J and S for sunfish and crappies, and Little Atom for perch.

I wrote some things last winter about these here are some links to them.Check them out if you have questions on anything let me know.

Tungsten not a Fad!
Got Ice Plastics?

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Thanks for sharing those with us.

I think that plastics are the wave of the future. I used them at NAIFC on  Wamplers and I know that most of the Pro's are now using plastic to catch more and bigger fish.

They also allow you to travel lite since you don't need to carry a minnow bucket.

They have great action and will work great on the Jammin Jigs and Grandpa Bob's Custom Jig's.

Any techniques, time of day or locations where plastics work better?
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OIM

• View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Well many of the plastics come in glow and standard colors so if there is fish biting there is a color of plastics that will work.

Glows in low light or in dark conditions

Motor Oil
Bubble Gum
White and
Red are my main go to but I fish them.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks, I will have to try out those colors.

Does the glow in plastic last longer than a the glow on a jig head?
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I like custom jigs and spins finesse plastic tails. The glow, white, and black seem to work the best for me. I also use the berkley gulp alive fish fry. Those worked great last season for the crappie at wingfoot. As for the tungsten jigs I have several and have fished them many times but in my opinion they didnt help me catch any more fish then any of my other jigs. If I fished in a lot deeper water I might like them more but Im normally in 15 ft or less. I find that I catch a lot of fish on the lighter jigs. Ill drop a 1/80 or 1/100 oz. lead head with a tail and watch the fish on my LX-5 go crazy for that slow drop with a slight twitch of the jig every foot or so as it falls.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

OIM

• View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Thanks, I will have to try out those colors.

Does the glow in plastic last longer than a the glow on a jig head?

depends on the marker and the color of the glow blue last the longest but is the least intense, red is the brightest but last the shortest.That is ture in jigs and plastics.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045

OIM

• View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I like custom jigs and spins finesse plastic tails. The glow, white, and black seem to work the best for me. I also use the berkley gulp alive fish fry. Those worked great last season for the crappie at wingfoot. As for the tungsten jigs I have several and have fished them many times but in my opinion they didnt help me catch any more fish then any of my other jigs. If I fished in a lot deeper water I might like them more but Im normally in 15 ft or less. I find that I catch a lot of fish on the lighter jigs. Ill drop a 1/80 or 1/100 oz. lead head with a tail and watch the fish on my LX-5 go crazy for that slow drop with a slight twitch of the jig every foot or so as it falls.

There is a time and a place for everything. The heavier weight vs overall size is where these baits shine. If you fish a lot of crappies slow falling baits are deadly and work a lot of the time. But if you are trying to punch through and fish the fish that held up in dense weeds you need something compacted and heavy to get down to the highways where the big gills live.Learning to find and fish the highways in the weeds can really put some large fish on ice for you.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Those are both great tips.

I know here in Central Ohio we do not have the big weed beds and clear water. Fishing weed beds is something I have to get better at to find the bigger fish.

I know Jonny gets to fish the weeds in the bay's.

I know that Michigan has the big Red Ears. Maybe we can get  group and come up and learn.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

OIM

• View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
There is some place I am dieing to go and ice fish in Ohio, and thats  Lake La Su Ann Wildlife Area. The gills I have heard about that come out of there is out of this world for this part of the country.

Does anyone know if they let people ice fish it?I don't care about keeping fish I just want to catch some big bulls.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:40:19 AM by OIM »

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045

Vexilar