Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Diamond jigs

Scott Mac

• View Profile
I tryied diamond jigs from custom jigs and spins last year and I caught more fish on them than any other jig I have used in the years I have been ice fishing. When the bite got tough these jigs got bites when I couldn't get bites on anything else. They fish heavy so they get down fast and there are alot of sizes to choose from. They have a 45 degree hook angle which I really like. The colors I had the best results with were the glow red and glow pink.

I also tried the jigs from grandpas jigs last year and found that the smaller sized jigs worked well when the bite is slow. When we are fishing first and last ice use the bigger jigs but most of the ice season is when the oxgyen levals are low so I am going to down size. But I start the season using 1 or 2 pound test line so I am downsized the whole season. That is just where we have gotten to in our tactics.

I am a panfish angler for the most part so if you hae any questions just ask. My son andrew and I are out there to try and fill the freezer with tasty gills and crappies. You guys are more than welcome to fish with any time and we will share everything we have learned over the years with anyone that we meet. So good fishing and always remember to be safe out there.

:)
Good Fishing and BE SAFE !!!!!
Panfishing is the way to go !!!!!
See you on the ice

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Custom jigs and spins
Frabill
Hopefully vexlar
Hummingbird
Fish TV

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hey Scott,

Those Diamond Jigs are really nice. John and I used them last year and I liked them. You might also try Fiska Wolfram Jigs. They are also made of Tungsten (Wolfram is German for Tungsten.) At any rate, they get down fast and impart a lot of wiggle on a tail-hooked larva. Killer on Crappie and Gills! You can pretty much only find them at: www.yourbobbersdown.com
I got some of the Grandpa Bob jigs off of Dave the other day and lit up a few Crappie doen at CJ Brown with that Firetiger patter tipped with a single waxie.
The feedbag must not be on quite yet because they wouldn't touch it when I put two or three on it.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Scott Mac

• View Profile
Those jigs look the same as diamond jigs excecpt they cost twice as much. I dont think the diamond jigs are made of tungnsten but I think I will go with the $1 jigs instead of the $2.50 jigs. Loosing a jig that costs that much hurts my feelings.
Good Fishing and BE SAFE !!!!!
Panfishing is the way to go !!!!!
See you on the ice

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Custom jigs and spins
Frabill
Hopefully vexlar
Hummingbird
Fish TV

Vexilar