Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Feb.7

g · 24 · 15931

ICE COLD

• View Profile
6 of us are headed to Catawba on Monday. Hope we catch even half what you did. 

g

• View Profile
If you don't mark fish within 30- 40 min., move. Eventually you will find them. Try aggressive and passive presentations to find out what they want. Deadsitcking a jigging rap will usually put a few fish on ice. When I was there Feb.7, they wanted a shiner on each hook on the treble. 1 or 2 got fewer bites than loading the treble. Good luck and don,t be afraid to use big baits.

ICE COLD

• View Profile
g, when you say deadsticking a rap, you just lower it down until its almost on bottom and just leave it hanging? Do you jig it at all? Any specific size? Thanks for the info.

g

• View Profile
I will use a #5 or #7 rap and just let it hang 3-5 feet off the bottom. Put shiners on the treble hook and don't touch it. Many times they come off the bottom straight for it and hit it. If they look and don't bite, try just shaking it in their face. If no good, use small jigging strokes or a slow steady reel.  Try different things to see what they want but I start by just letting it hang there. Good luck.

xtown icer

• View Profile
"G" Are you jigging a spoon in another hole at the same time? Can you watch both on the finder?

eyeguy1

• View Profile
forget Catawba , Crane Creek was on fire today with good ice conditions . Lots of limits today there in short times. That will be the hot spot from here on out as the fish move west towards the spawning grounds.

Dale

g

• View Profile
Hey xtown. Yes I was jigging a #6 pimple in my other hole and could see both lures. I drill my holes about 2 feet apart so it isn't a problem seeing both lures. I know people that drill a third hole in the middle behind their two holes and use it for their depth  finder. Having the third hole makes it easier to mark smaller lures. Hope this helps.       
Eyeguy1, thanks for the info on Crane Creek. It's time for the eyes to start staging closer to spawning grounds. Please post any changes. Planning on coming up Fri. the 20th for the weekend.

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
Catwaba is still good! Buddys have been doing well this week. Fishing can be hit or miss at Crane or Catwaba. Fish are scattered everywhere thru out the basin being mobile is the key.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

lipripper88

• View Profile
Helps if ya hunt in packs to. Right eyewall

Vexilar