Ice Fish Ohio Forum

fishing line

perchguy

• View Profile
I retie poles after I fish every night.some guys change line every year but I dont,I'll pill off 5 or 10 feet.but I keep my poles in my fishing,hunting,computer room hanging on the wall.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I believe that cold temperatures are what cause fishing lines to go bad. I've heard that if you are going to store your gear outside (like I'm sure many of us do), put your reals in a small cooler and your line will be fresh the next season. I don't know how much truth there is to that though. I imagin you would still want to peel off a few yards, to get rid of any damaged line. I would also think that keeping the gear indoors would prolong the life of your line.
   My new frabil rod, I just spooled up with 2lb. test fireline with a 4lb. mono backing. That is my ultra light setup. On medium action clam, I have the same 4lb. Trilene I used for the backing on my ultra light. The line is from last year, and I'm thinking I may want to step it up to a 6lb. Test mono instead. I'm not sure what brand I want to get though, I might try that bionic stuff from northland. Or maybe a floroucarbon line.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I try to reline my rods every other year, unless I'm fishing for money, then it's every 3 months.  For ice line I'll use 1 pound mono for gills, up to 12 pound floro for walleye and musky.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

let it freeze

• View Profile
I just check 4 nicks or it curls to much.Than I change it.

Vexilar