Ice Fish Ohio Forum

wanted, pretty much everything needed to ice fish ,clyde,fremont,bay view,ohio

old man

• View Profile
morning, older newbie needs some gear. I have way older gear n suitcase shanty. I reside in Clyde, Fremont area.Fished in the past but desire to hard water fish anew, need a auger and gas would likely be better at my age.Thanks

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Get a Mr. buddy heater. They're the best hands down!  For cleats, the cheap ht ones with the rubber straps that go over your boots are the ones I like. I've used the more expensive ones, but these work just as well. They're on and off in 30 seconds, put them on the ball of your foot and you're good to go.  As for the auger thing, I have gas and a hand.  I use my hand 75% of the time.  One year we got 12 inches of ice, so I bought a gas auger because I move a lot and was sick of taking ten minutes to drill holes, and we've never had over 4-5 inches since. On ice 4-5 inches think, it's not worth dragging the weight of a gas auger.  Also, if you can afford it, get some kind of flasher. For just getting started, a Vexilar FL-8 would probably be all you'd need. You can pick one up pretty reasonable these days. Just watch this site and Craigslist. PM me if you have any other questions.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I live near Port Clinton. If you want a shanty I have a couple smaller homemade ones to get ya going. Don't need a gas auger but it is nice at times. Forecast looks good I will be  posting reports in your area when we get ice. The reservoirs around your house have some good crappies, be ready!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar