Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice auger adopter

KPI · 9 · 4862

KPI

• View Profile
i have hand ice auger i have been looking at the adopter for a drill! i have a dewalt 20 volt litium ion battery, what are your thoughts on the nimrod unit is it worth it ????

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Never used it, but I'd be afraid it'd burn up my drill.  What size is your auger?  Also, with how expensive drills are, if you burn it up, it'd be almost as cheap to buy a gas auger.  You'd get many more holes out of it and won't tear any of your equipment up.  Just my $.02. ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I heard they are a waste of money.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I found a gas powered Strikemaster auger two years ago on Craigslist.  Granted the guy had the brilliant idea to use it to dig in fence posts.  Got new blades on it and runs great!  $100 for the auguer and $30 to replace the blades.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

KPI

• View Profile
any one ever use one that has a comment thanks

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Goto iceshanty.com or youtube. There are plenty of reviews on them. General feeling is not to use on augers more than 7 inch and use at least an 18v drill like the directions call for. Like they most errors are caused by the connecting nut on the end. So far the replies are not from people who have used one. If you have a business and burn up a drill it's a write off a ice auger is not. JMO
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
If the drill chuck loosen you will lose the auger down the hole .. :o

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have never used one myself. I have personally talked to many people who have used them and watched them use them myself. I would have to say about 90% of them did not like them. A few of them had burnt up very expensive drills. I did meet a guy on the ice that did love it though. He had made several mods though. He started by buying a cheap 18v. Harbor freight cordless drill so if he burnt it up he wouldnt be out much. He then took 2 12v. flasher style batteries to make a 24v battery pack. Then wired it up to his drill. It gave him a little more power and alot more run time. He used the 6 in. nilsmaster auger. He bought the nils so if/when he ran out of battery he could easily switch to hand crank. In total he had about 60.00 for the drill, 50.00 for the batteries, 20 for the adapter and 130.00 for the auger. Thats about 260.00 for the set up that the 1 person that was really happy with the cordless drill auger. I paid 350 for my eskimo z51 shark and I think the eskimo stingray is about 270.00 Id rather pay 10.00 more for a gas auger. You can always just buy the adapter and try it with what equipment you have. If it doesnt work for you, you would only be out 20 bucks and maybe the price of the drill. Also if you do buy the adapter make sure you get one that has a safety cord the hooks the auger to the drill in case the chuck was to become loose. I would hate to watch my auger sink to the bottom of the lake. A few of the guys I talked to about this set up watched there auger sink to the bottom. 1 of them did go home and get a big magnet and was able to get it back by watching what he was doing with his camera. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you the info that I have. If you do decide to try it out please post your results here so we can all see your opinion on them.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Goto Lake-link.com it's a wisconsin based page and lots of people have used this type of adapter and some have made some home made ones with great success, I would say if you have one smaller then a 6 you should be fine but bigger then 6 you will kill your battery fast and burn up your drill.
 I have thought about doing this to but I have a 8in Lazer and dont wanna burn up my drill

Vexilar