Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Deterioration

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fished the backside of Nesmeth Monday & Tuesday both afternoons till early evening. Walked off both nights around 7:30pm. Monday night, the ice turned slushy as I was walking off. Tuesday, I met up with Russ (Steeleneyes) and was totally shocked the ice conditions at 3pm., Tuesday. 4" of water & slush on the west side plus the ice thickness had deteriorated from 10' to 7' (at best) in less than 24 hrs.

Water "boiled up" 4"from our drilled holes due to sagging ice & influx of more water into the lake.

It was a sloppy mess out there!

It was disappointing, scary & not too safe. You could tell the "hardeness" of the ice wasnt the same as a few days ago. We didnt venture far out at all.

BE CAREFULL OUT THERE!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:40:11 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I noticed same at Nimi, though not as bad.  It was much slushier when I left just now than at 7 this morning.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

bcann

• View Profile
can any one tell me how the ice conditions are at mosquito ,planning on going there this saterday 2 /22 14 any feed back would be helpful

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fished Nimisial C-5 from 9am-11am  Friday morning.

Only one on the ice. Ice was a good 10"., still solid with a little slush and water on top, but not bad at all.

Periodic Wind Gusts to 30 mph

Shoreline ice had not deteriorated.

Was cautious in not venturing too far since I was alone.

Caught only 1 gill.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar