Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice fishing at Catawba State Park...walking out

Green Pea

• View Profile
Do people park there at the Catawba State Park and walk out a short ways or does everyone head way out on snowmobiles? I'm just curious if many people just pull a sled down the ramp and stay fairly close.

If I made the trip up there I guess I would feel better knowing I don't have to walk out a mile just to get on fish. I'm fairly new so the ice still kind of spooks me.

bradner32

• View Profile
Most use quads or snowmobile and go a couple miles,some more some less.i have caught fish from a half mile clear out to green.a lot of guys walk aswell and yes you park there at Catawba

Mullygyn

Yes people walk out a short ways. The trick is getting away from the traffic being so close. A mile gives quite a bit more range away from the roads. If you use a nav map there are plenty of depth changes within range.

Bryan

• View Profile
I'll be walking Saturday morning, what time are you going out?
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

Green Pea

• View Profile
Hey thank you for the quick replies and help. I've been wanting to give that a try up there but wasn't sure what to expect.

I wish I was able to be there this Saturday. Unfortunately I need to wait until next weekend to head that way. It's roughly a four hour drive for me so I may head up the night before and stay overnight.   

Bryan, if you plan on walking out the following weekend and I can make it up there I would absolutely appreciate walking out at the same time if you didn't mind.

Bryan

• View Profile
I'll be back to Middle Bass next week Green pea...going to be fishing for four straight days. Maybe five if I don't feel like going back to work!
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

bradner32

• View Profile
I will be walking out this Saturday and next Saturday if you want to group up the more the better.anybodys welcome to go along with me and my son.im no expert but we do catch fish. Lol

Vexilar