Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Possible get together at CJ Brown...

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Sunday is looking good as far as the weather, anyone interested?

fshman_165

• View Profile
This will be my final Ice thickness post till next week during the short warm up. Ice on the lake ranges from 6 inches to just shy of 9 inches. Take precautions and enjoy....the fishing has been great.

Green Pea

• View Profile
Hey Fishman, nice meeting you and Marc, thank you for the tips. I was only able to stick around for a few but had a good time winding down from work on the ice you guys. Did you catch any eyes after I left?

Lowell, I will be there all day on Sunday more than likely. My son has a school event up in Bellefontaine early Saturday but I should be able to get out for a bit once we get back.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Green Pea, Sorry you didn't hang the fish that tried to eat your rod.  We worked blades at dark for an hour no luck.  Today I trucked it with John Mahar (didn't ask screen name)  out to the foundation north of the road bed.  Went out the marina and checked at least 30 holes on the way out.  Barren land saw no movement.  Caught a small gill and small crappie on foundation and that was it for the middle of lake.  Of course this was early afternoon not the best time.  Most of todays action was in the marina  Never found ice less than 6-1/2 inches, mostly 7 to 7-1/2.  Ice popped all day and the last inch of ice is so hard it's hard to finish your holes.  The mouth of the marina had an upheaval on the south side.  Open water for the first 6' off shore.  Water was coming out of the cracks in several areas as the lake is making ice and pressure cracks are developing.  Watch these area.  Most ice is clear all the way through though I'd avoid the real milky areas but not much snow stuck to the lake.  The thinnest ice is in the marina areas that are piled up with snow.  I found one with only 2 inches.  Talked to one angler who went off the campground to the road bed and reported the same ice conditions.  Anyway most of the lake can now be checked out. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Green Pea, 8AMish ok? Say where...and again, I have no auger, and some (deleted !) took my rope...

Green Pea

• View Profile
Lowell,

I have an auger and rope. I will be at the pumps by 8:00. I don't know the lake nearly as well as you and the others so I will go wherever the pack goes. I plan on being there the entire day. By golly I want to catch a Walleye through the ice so if I have to fish until midnight that's what I'll do.

One of them critters tried to eat my pole Wednesday evening and I somehow missed the damn thing ::) shame shame shame.

cincinnati kid

• View Profile
When you guys talk about meeting at the pumps what pumps are you talking about . Cincy Kid ready to make the trip from Lebanon OH to CJ on Sunday AM.Since I will be comming alone sure would like to hook up fill much safer fishing in a pack.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Cincinnati kid,  how you`re coming up, if you have GPS route planning put in Buck Creek State Park Marina...otherwise let me know...the Marina fuel dock is behind the Concession blding... 

Green Pea

• View Profile
Cincinnati Kid,

When you drive down the hill into the Marina, the pumps are straight ahead of you. You actually won't be able to miss everyone once you head into the Marina.

cincinnati kid

• View Profile
Thanks for the info. I will get back on IFO WEBSITE Sat night for the latest update. Hope the rain does not ruin it for all  FISH ON 

lowellhturner

• View Profile
The weather is SUPPOSED to be nice later today and be nice all day Sunday...As far as `hanging a walleye` think Marc had the right idea off the Main Boat Ramp. He fishes the lake MORE than anyone I know of during the winter (no offense !) and literally KNOWS it almost better than ANYONE...certainly he`s in my "Top 5" pick easily ! I DO have 1 `suggestion` bring at least 1 reel with 4-6 pd on it JUST in case !

fshman_165

• View Profile
You just need to meet more people. Oh by the way..the lake has lost about 1.5 inches from the rain and melt. If you head out to the main lake take your safety gear and rope off to each other in 2 man teams. I am heading up to indian tomorrow...good luck on the main lake.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Thank you for the report and good luck to yourself ! Be SAFE, sir !

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Enjoyed the time out there with Salmonid, Geen Pea and the others. Got 7 crappie (1 barely keeper...no `gills, no perch ! Heard 1 drag squeeling for 1-2 seconds but whatever it was escaped with a free lunch...

Vexilar