Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tuesday hunting for Walleye or Crappie

Green Pea

• View Profile
I have tomorrow off and would love to hit the reservoir and go after some Walleye or Crappie. I haven't been around the ice enough to truly know what is safe ice yet so I'm hoping to see some of you out there.

Is anyone planning on going to CJ tomorrow?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
No ice is safe ice,always check for yourself no matter what has been posted about any area,and make sure you have someone with you never ice fish alone! :o
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Green Pea what time was you thinking tomorrow? I know I don't have to work but I have to take my wife to work and pick her up. ::)

Green Pea

• View Profile
I could meet you over there whenever. I have the same schedule it sounds like. I would love to be able to get off the docks if there is good ice.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Sunday in the marina we found only one small spot with 3"  in the marina.  Mostly 1-1/2 to 2"  should be ready by Weds on the main lake.  Be careful tues. might be pushing it though I've heard of 3"s or more being put on over a day like we are having.  We didn't get the snow many area lakes got and hopefully the wind takes care of it.  Go buddy system and rope off.  Check ice every ten feet.  I know that seems like a lot of holes but it's better than the alternate.  If the boat ramp area has good ice there's plenty of cover in the area.  Best bet for Walleyes are big baits with minimal action.  In the past the less the better.  Chub minnows under tip-ups are best and used during low light hours best bet for action.  Theres plenty of brush to attract crappies and they will hit anything from the smallest jig to a large jigging rap.  Try to stay off brush.  Electronics are key here.  The brush in front of ramp where bank anglers fish off walls has plenty of brush and the outside of these is a great place to set tip-ups for eyes.  Hope this helps
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Was out about noon at the Main Boat Ramp and punched thru, the ice off the dock was only 1 1/2" thick. Follow Marc`s advice, have the 50` rope TIED to each other and have the "cat`s claws UPON your person ! And MAN, you guys are TOUGH trying it tomorrow ! BEWARE of frostbite also ! Good luck and remember, SAFETY 1st, 2cnd and 3rd ! Fish 4th...

Green Pea

• View Profile
Thank you for the help and believe me If the ice is not ready, either am I.

I was just outside with the snow blower and it is brutal out there. May be a little too brutal.

chaunc

• View Profile
Thank you for the help and believe me If the ice is not ready, either am I.

I was just outside with the snow blower and it is brutal out there. May be a little too brutal.
Brutal is the right word for it. Was going to Mosquito in the morning but i think i'll wait til wednesday.

fshman_165

• View Profile
The main boat ramp area is one the of last areas to become safe and the thickness varies greatly there. Very dangerous area to stage from during first ice. In 2010/2011 we went out to the main lake through the Marina for weeks before using the main boat ramp as a staging area. The lake will thicken but I will not even check the ice until Wednesday morning. It was still in the teens about 3 am this morning. The majority of the ice buildup will happen in the next 36 hours. The high winds with sub zero temps blowing across ice with no snow is the ticket. I may go down into the marina tomorrow and shovel snow drifts from around certain docks to make sure we get good staging areas. Don't go out alone. I checked ice thickness with a striker flotation suit and with a rope to tie off to docks, trees and the hitch on my truck. I have been through the ice 3 times in the last 35 years. All at CJ, due to her tricky ice. 2 of those times were on the main lake with over a foot of ice on most of the lake.

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Green Pea the roads up here are pure ice slipping around at 20 mph, so I think I will just fish my pond today.

fshman_165

• View Profile
Did an Ice thickness test on 2 parts of the lake. The MBR area has 4 inches. I found a small area that has 5 inches. I was only able to check out to the pole attractors before I had to come back home for a work meeting. I will be going out at 2 pm to test other areas (Marina and breakwall arms). We should have about 2 more inches by tomorrow afternoon. There were a couple of thin areas with snow....but I was surprised by the uniformity.

Vexilar