Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Two nibbles

Green Pea

• View Profile
Well I gave it a shot after work and nothing. It still beats watching the boob tube. Is anyone else doing any good at CJ.

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
Hasn't been a good year.  Afraid because of the brush piles the docks may be a thing of the past.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

panfishnut

• Love those Crappies
    • View Profile
Hasn't been a good year.  Afraid because of the brush piles the docks may be a thing of the past.
I have not fished CJ for about 10 years. Did they add a bunch of brush to the main lake? If so does anyone know the locations so I can fish they this spring in open water?

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
bait shop across from dam and state park office have maps.  Several have GPS coods.  My wife tossed mine the day after I got them so I can't help you there but they are around.  And they dropped cover all over the lake did a great job for the most part but messed up a couple of already proven walleye spots which there are few of.  Really need more input on where they put them from anglers other than crappie anglers.
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Sir, we did what we were allowed; do keep in mind there were more than 1 persons/ groups "free lancing" on their own. We actually encouraged anyone interested to participate; overall hopefully it did more good than harm, sir...

fshman_165

• View Profile
I have to agree with Marc. I am assuming the initial drops were completed with the state having input as where NOT to place the attractors. This leaves a bit of leeway. Whats done is done. All the hard work that went into the initial drops is admirable and was done for love of the lake. I personally have never needed to fish the attractors and I get my limits rather easily. I have spent many years fishing CJ (along with Marc) and I fish spots within spots. 3 or 4 large rocks in a small flat, small transition areas (such as black clay to red clay with gravel bordering, the old sand traps, both known and unknown fresh water springs).

I have seen some of the more published spots now devoid of walleyes since the attractors have been dropped. For me its not an issue, I can simply move to my c,d,e,f or g spots ;D and keep putting fish in the livewell. My concern is mainly with the freelancing that is going on that I have read about on other sites. I guess we will find out what impact the latrine biologists will have on the movement of Eyes within CJ. Crappies (including slabs) have always been rather easy to catch and will continue to be easily caught. I hope to see size increases in spots that I normally catch the 13 and 14 inch fish. I have seen more 10 and 11 inch fish since the drops so it seems to be working for the crappies. I welcome healthy debate so feel free to reply.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't mind attractors, but prefer to find spots not on a map or not one that everybody knows about.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

lowellhturner

• View Profile
My apologies for the late post; basically, we did NOT want the GPS positions to become "public knowledge" and pressed VERY hard for a max depth of 20 fow and for permission to sink more than just "C" trees. We were given permission ONLY under their conditions. Rather than "curse the darkness" we decided to "play ball" and to the utmost of our ability strictly followed their rules, hoping (correctly) that given time and the "desired end results" they would gradually loosen the restrictions. We HONESTLY tried to get any and everyone interested involved, bass guys, the catfishers, panfishers, and walleye crew. We asked fishing clubs, bait shops, ect, and volunteers for info, feedback, and help. Am not saying it was done as well as it humanly could have been, we made a few mistakes. But, in the end, with permission to place 700, best as the last secret side scan sonar survey has revealed 1,365+ attractors of various types are now in CJ, that`s 1,365+ more than it had previously. It was said even if all 700 allowed went in that it would be "but a drop in the bucket." Well, there`s 1.85 drops now...and FWIW, we are NOT done yet. We will take our "break" for a couple of yrs. but there is now a HARD CORE group whom have SEEN the "desired end results" and are already selfishly desiring more...imagine 20+ concrete block and 10 hole red brick piles in strategic spots and 200 PVC along with 300 long lasting hard wood and 480 "C" trees ALL going in within 1 yr...(evil laughter sound effect here...)

Vexilar