Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Bass Pro or Cabelas

pete12 · 16 · 8990

pete12

• View Profile
Want to do some shopping tomorrow mornin for some new ice gear. (shanty, rods, etc.) where do you think is better? Bass pro or cabelas? And is the bass pro in Dundee better for ice gear, than cinncinatti? Been looking at the 2 man clam w sled.... Never had clam... Is it durable? Thanks for the help!

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
bass pro has everything you will need.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Bass pro has the best selection and customer service

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agree on the Bass Pro.  I was in Cincinnati 2 weeks ago and they had some ice stuff, but not as much as I would have liked.  I know the 2 up north, the one in Detroit, and the one by Toledo off the turnpike both have a good selection of ice equipment.  And yes Clam is very durable.  Had one for 10 years before the shell went bad.  And it was in a place where I could leave it on the ice for days at a time without worrying about theft.  Snow, wind, rain didn't bother it.  They make a great product.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yep. BP is outstanding in merchandise selection.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Hey Pete12, been awhile, if I were you I would buy a support pack from IFO for 20 and head to fin feather fur, at 10 percent off your going to save alot of money.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
Yesterday I went to the Rossford BPS. They have a wonderful selection of ice gear plus the staff is very helpful. Big sale on ice gear starting in a few days. Phil knows his stuff.
If you jig it they will come!

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I know this is an either or question so I will say both Cabela's and Bass Pro have their moments BUT I try to spend my money with the little guys if at all possible.  The majority of my ice gear comes from small companies ordered online.

I'm just sayin...

As crv said, Fin Feather and Fur has a great selection of gear, never seen their ice selection but if it's anything like their soft water gear then they have tons.  The price is usually pretty on par with BPS and Cabela's as well.

Good luck and happy spending!

Minnowhead

• View Profile
I'm a Cabelas guy.  Got the Visa, so I use the points ;D
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

1977walleyeguy

• View Profile
Yesterday I went to the Rossford BPS. They have a wonderful selection of ice gear plus the staff is very helpful. Big sale on ice gear starting in a few days. Phil knows his stuff.

Jumpy,

know by chance exactly when the sale is?

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I was just at fin fur and feather on Friday. They have everything. In stock except there clam products which should be in this week.

Crv is correct that you will receive 10% off if you become a team member. The 10% off does not include shanties, augers and electonics because there is not a big mark up in these items.

As far as selection they have it all and will save a trip to Dundee.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
CABELAS. Bass pro has the stuff but cabelas has the service and the stuff along with better prices. If anything at all goes wrong cabelas will take it back no questions asked and make you satisfied! I am close to a bass pro in toledo and the cabelas in dundee and will make the drive to cabelas anytime. Well worth the trip for me!

Good luck!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
Friday. Phil in the ice department said they had a back room full of ice gear ready to go onto the floor. 
If you jig it they will come!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I would deffenetly save the gas and go to The Fin. With the money saved on the gas and with the 10% discount that is a lot of extra money thats can buy even more ice gear.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

pete12

• View Profile
After weighing the pros and cons ( for me and dad) We ended up getting the clam voyager. Can't wait to get it on the ice!! Thanks again for the help!

Vexilar