Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Night Fishing???

hang_loose

• View Profile
I'm new to this ice fishing and this is probably a stupid question but does anyone ice fish at night?

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
The question is not stupid the action of doing so would be deemed unsafe as there are a lot less people around to hear you if you fall in and limited visibility increases your chances of walking on thin ice. Haven't fished much past dark myself- and haven't seen others do it either.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i've done quite a bit of ice fishing at night. some lakes the bite is better at night, especially for crappies. i haven't done much this year, because of the crappy ice though. if you know the ice is good, and you're familiar with the lake you're fishing, it's a lot of fun. i don't like to go alone, but i will if i have to. i try to get out before dark and fish spots i'm comfortable with, and i don't do much exploring at night.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
we do a lot of night fishing up here with a lot of success but our ice is a lot safer and we are very careful of where we go in and out if you go be careful sounds like ice in ohio is iffy in a lot of places Be Safe Dave

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ice fishing at night is great for a lot of reasons, but you have to go about it the right way.

Go out (preferably with someone else) before it gets pitch black, this way you can still see, and on your way off you can back track. Set flags to help navigate if there isn't any snow and have a good lantern with an extra tank.

Make sure you have a whistle on you, just in case there is trouble. You can't be seen, but you can be heard better at night because the sounds of daytime life won't drown you out.

The advantages include privacy, more activity and fish movement, especially later on in the ice season when the fish tend to move about a little more. And most importantly, you can pee anywhere and anytime! ;D
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

hang_loose

• View Profile
Thanks guys, I've just never seen anyone post about night-time ice fishing. No way I'd ever be out there by my self. I look at ice fishing as a buddy fishing hobby with safety as my number one concern.

One more thing, do you light the water under where you're fishing or just fish your bait in the dark?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I usually light the water.  And use glow-in-the-dark lures.  There is as product called the crappi-candle, it is a small underwater light that attaches directly to your line and shines on your lure.  This eliminates anything floating on  or in your hole for your line to get tangles on.  Only disadvantage is sometimes can be difficult to feel sniffers.  If that is happening, I'll send down a second rod in the fish zone and let the candle illuminate both baits.  Hope this helps.  P.S.  If you don't want to spend the $20 for 2 crappi-candles, a good lantern will shine light down the hole, if you don't want to use underwater lights and have to drag a battery on the ice for the lights.  Crappi-candle has a web site if you are interested, just google it.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

hang_loose

• View Profile
I won't be ice-night fishing this year. But I will be getting my equipment together this spring, summer and fall. That way I can "road test" everything before first time out.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
OK slabslayer upon your advice i bought two crappy candles afterall what have i got to lose ill keep you posted. I figure if they dnot work i might try to pump oxygen into my favorite hole afterall the yuppies of the world pay to go to oxygen bars. LOL. We found a hole this week full of crappies in the camera but couldnt buy a bite tried for two days. Hope everyone has a good safe weekend and good luck with your tournament. Dave

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Really hope the candle works for you, I know it does for me.  I'll feel bad if you spend the money and they don't work.  Hope you slay 'em.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar