Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ICE SPUD BAR

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
ALL

WHAT KIND OF SPUD BARS DO YOU GUYS USE. I WAS THINKING OF BUYING ONE OF THE LONGER ONES, CUTTING IT IN HALF AND THEN MAKING A COUPLER TO JOIN THE TO HALVES BACK TOGETHER TO MAKE IT EASIER TO TRANSPORT IN THE SLED.WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK? ANY PICS OF THEIR EQUIPMENT WOULD BE COOL .
THANKS

WELDERHILLBILLY

overcheck

• View Profile
I use  a 6 footer with my right hand walking with sled rope in left hand .  I use it like a walking stick testing the ice every couple of steps when needed. It also gives me a sense of security if was to break though may be able catch myself by laying it across the hole.It works for me everyone has their own way of doing things this is the way I do it never got wet yet.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
One thing to remember if you cut it in half that will be your weakest point, if you fall in you will need it to be the strongest point. I have never had a problem with a spud bar in a sled I have had them slip out of my hand into a hole. Dave

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Mine is a Mille Lacs one sold at Bass Pro on Indian Lake- about 5 ft tall- place to tie rope onto to.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I use a 5 foot chisel point with a thick handle.  If I did go thru there would be no problem using the bar to pull myself up.  And with the thick handle I drill a hole thru for my rope.  Plus it just barely fits into my shanty sled.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar