Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Wisconsin Update

davek · 16 · 6550

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
 What a difference a couple of days make cold weather finally made it we had 1 in of ice around the marina docks today but didnt mark a fish in 3 hrs. lows in the single digits starting Sunday the old surburban is loaded and changed the oil on all our reels what a great time of the year. Now the bad news 5-7 inches of snow tomorrow which is going to make for dangerous first ice, for all of you newcomers please note that the snow insulates the ice slowing the freezing process, so if you encounter these conditions be xtra careful. Bring on the ice but be safe ill keep you all posted Dave

PS told the missus id enter the rehab program in april LOL

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
We had skim ice on the ponds again today... we have favorable conditions but could use some of those single-digit lows! We'll be down in the teens a few times, but that's about as good as we'll be doing for a while I'm afraid.

We do have one thing in our favor and that's very little chance of snow(forecasted) once the ice starts to take hold.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I knew it would be soon. Have fun, be carefull and get us some pictures of the first ice fish of the year.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I dont know about you guys in the south, but I hear water freezing. My 8 yr old came home from school today ready to go I think brett has the fever worse than I, its going to be tough staying away from the water this weekend but theyre still not allowed out on first ice until ive fished it but then only in select areas. We are getting snow, so the boys and I got out their rods and we tied on the jigs of their choice, hopefully by mid week I can get them out. God Bless and if any of you get the fever bad enough youre always welcome, Just think first ice in two areas of the country I wonder how many divorces that would lead to. LOL Remember its a great time of the Year to teach our youngsters to FISH.  Dave

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sounds Great, Keep us posted
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

JustNutts

everytime I see..... WISCONSIN UPDATE i cringe!!!! haha im so freakin jealous of the ice up there!!  enjoy and be safe!

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Sorry Russ I keep trying to get you to make the trip, you can always tell the family youre going into a one week rehab program and you have to take the equipment so we wean you off of it reel slow. HAH  Dave

JustNutts

haha thats funny. She seriously believed me for a minute about the rehab thing!!! I was just getting ready to post that my ice prediction is gona be off and im betting I will be on the ice in about a week or week n a half.. all the waters here have ice and a good bit of snow on them and its seriosuly cold. Id love to make it up there though. The furthest im gona make it is to the Midwest Open this year.

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Good luck well get together sometime ill be in for xmas and plan on staying at my sisters in westerville less than 5 min from hoover Dave

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
OK its time to really tease everyone heading out on the ice not sure what well find ill give you all a report later be safe dave

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good Luck, Be Safe, Take pictures!. Also, Call me when you get in town and bring your gear. Worst case we can hit the docks at Alum.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
Jammin Jigs

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Ok here it is we got to fish on 2- 3 inches of ice, marked fish right away but not much biting, I finally put a waxie on a dark purple tear drop and started pulling out gills and perch no reel size to them. My buddy Don went to a pink little cecil and started getting some action, We probably caught 20 or so no keepers, but it was great getting out. I have pics i will post in a bit. we should be able to get to some of our good spots by midweek. As everyone starts to get out be safe and good luck Dave

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Got out today for about 6 hrs temps in the teens down near 0 tonight. marked a lot of fish landed one lonely perch, some of the guys got some small gills. Ice is still iffy in spots, so well all staying close to shore, the secret now is patience waiting on the good ice. Plan on hitting it again tomorrow sorry Russ but this retired life sucks,nothing else to do. Be Safe Dave

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Well guys it all went to hell here from good to getting better to terrible. I did get the boys out early Sat for a couple of hours a few bites nothing landed started raining turned to snow to blizzard warnings in a couple of hours, the good news is it is suppose to stay cold this week. well have to see what the snow cover is, weve had 20-25 mph winds for the last 16 hours and gust of 45 or better. ill keep you posted fish safe Dave

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Here they are the first fish of the 2010 2011 hardwater season caught on the 7th in Prairie Du Chien on the backwaters of the mississippi river the gill was first the perch i caught a few minutes later both on a purple teardrop tipped  with a waxie. I know theyre small but it is great to be back onthe ice got out today for the first time since sat. Russ I know you cringe but it took two days to get dug out from the blizzard kinda cuts into the fishing. We were able to get out again today caught about 30 small one perch and gills. Dave

Vexilar