Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Using a tent as a shack

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I am thinking about getting a used cheap tent to use for ice fishing just wondering if anyone has ever used one for fishing or if it's just a stupid idea or would anyone have instructions on how to make my own? I don't have money to spend for a top end shack so I was  thinking this might be a good solution for the time

Jawjacker12

• View Profile
I have seen people use tents and it is usually pretty fun to watch them set em up. I actually use a hunting blind that I modified to fish out of.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Seen it also...more than once.  Was out at Nimisila last year and there were a couple of crappie fishermen in a tent.  They planned on staying the night.  A tent is roomier than a shack, only bad part is most tents have floors.  You'd need to remove most of the floor, or at least some of it to fish thru, but other than that it should work for you.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yes sir done it my self used a tent and cut holes in bottom to fish thru, only take some ice screws to fasten it down , i chased mine all the way across deer creek way back when, was the funniest thing you would want to see....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I just thought about it and I have a dog house blind or something like and it's missing one bar to hold the top up but I guess I will have to buy new steaks for it cuz I don't think the ones that came with it will work to well. Thanks for the help guys

wis2ohio

• View Profile
OK got another question about the ice shelter anchors I saw some place someone said that screw eye hooks are the samething and I found a set of eye hooks at walmart that are cheaper and might do a better job so would the hook screws be better then the shelter ice anchors?

mikeL

• View Profile
The Eskimo brand ice anchors I personally  think are the best, from using all different types. They Screw into the ice really easily 
Very pointed at the top for starting them into the ice. They basically look like a drywall screw that is used for wood or metal studs.

If you would find a eye bolt that is really tapered it might work out.

I have a Eskimo quick fish three pop up shack. If interested
Pro staff

Gut Pile

• View Profile
I secured my turkey blind to a base support I made out of wood, that also doubled as a sled that I was able to transport all of my gear in as well as a small propane heater. Not as nice as my buddy's Clamm 2000 but it worked great and would / will take it out again. I hope

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I have an old shappell suitcase style shanty that I dont use much anymore. Its a little tight for 2 people but it works. I dont want to get rid of it but if you would like to borrow it until you get a shanty just let me know. I havent opened it up in a couple of years but if it could help you out let me know and I can check it out for you.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I still have my pak shack make me an offer!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Vexilar