Ice Fish Ohio Forum

walleye on grand lake

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
the walleye run on the lake has been a great 1 so far this ice season, my main concern is, we are not catching anything under 18 inches,this leads me to believe that in a few years the run and catch will be over unless the state keeps the program going....... time will tell

toadfish

• View Profile
I agree, a few more years and all the hogs will be taken out or dead of old age.  I hope the state will continue the walleye stocking this spring to keep this fishery alive and well.  They do put a hurting on the shad population too.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Great news Keep us posted. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Hmm I didnt even know grand lake had eyes in it. Id love to come up and get a few if anyone would be willing to show a guy the ropes???

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Ya keep us posted I would make the drive for some good fishing,would like to see sportsman direct while im there
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I did post pictures of the fish I caught on the lake..... no pic but I did see 1 walleye in the 30 inch range come out of the ice

polarbear

• View Profile
It will take awhile before the fish die off and they put 13 million fry in the lake so if 25 percent of they lived that's a lot of walleye to catch. I heard they were going to stock more next year that came from a wildlife officer. I've noticed that all the fish look fat and healthy that's a plus. The shad hatch this year was amazing.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
the actual number of fingerlings put in is 52 million

toadfish

• View Profile
Does the state post the number of fry/fingerlings they stock every year?  I know they usually post the numbers at wildohio.com, but I would like to keep a history of when the stockings were made and how many 'eyes.

polarbear

• View Profile
Thanks for the article from the daily standard

toadfish

• View Profile
Great find Wapak Ice Dawg.  Are there any other stocking records for more recent years?  I know the reporter that wrote that article  in 2003 and I am a subscriber to The Daily Standard.

What I would like to know is when were the last stocking of walleye done and how many fry/fingerlings?

I found perch stocking of 100,000 took place in 2012 and 2013, but found nothing about recent walleye stocking.  I searched Bing.com and the wildohio.com sites.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:53:41 AM by toadfish »

Vexilar