Ice Fish Ohio Forum

why do we do it?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Besides the love of fishing, I was wondering why you fellow icemen ice fish?  I enjoy the quiet, the challenge of the hunt, and being on the ice with friends and family.

I also like the simplicity of not having to deal with boat control!!
 ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. ice fishermen are way more friendly.
2. don't need a boat.
3. not that costly to get started.
 with that being said, when you're as addicted  as i am, with thousands of dollars in gear, i'm still the friendliest guy on the ice. pulling my sled the size of a bass boat with said gear.

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I like not having to deal with skiers, jet ski's and pleasure boaters when I'm fishing, fewer people and some of the most friendly fishermen are found on the ice.....
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
im just plain addicted, hopeless, friends and family think I have gone off the deep end
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ;D The fish taste way better . The people more pleasant . The air more fresh . I work harder for fewer fish ,but way more satisfaction . I plain love it !  ;D

snag

• View Profile
There's just something about watching that bobber disappear down a black hole that I cannot get enough of.  Additionally I think taste wise there is no substitute for panfish caught through the ice.

g

• View Profile
addicted to pulling fish through an ice hole. it's nice not having to deal with discourteous boaters and jet skiers. people on the ice are friendlier than boaters and you don't disturb their fishing when you walk up quietly to talk to fellow fisherpeople.

threeten

• View Profile
;D The fish taste way better . The people more pleasant . The air more fresh . I work harder for fewer fish ,but way more satisfaction . I plain love it !  ;D
well said!!
and I have more time in the winter-the thrill of walking on water 8)

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
You can fish without people paylakeing you, most guys will tell you where they are catching them.

Green Pea

• View Profile
This is the beginning of my third year ice fishing. I wish I had given it a try years ago because I literally enjoy this more than fishing in the summer.

At work people have asked my why would you wan't to fish in the Winter? Strangely enough it's not easy to answer. For me I simply like being outside in the Winter. The air is brisk and everything seams so peaceful. Loading up the car with gear, some coffee and sometimes a road map to a new spot means a day of recharging my batteries and relaxing. Sitting on a bucket and letting my mind drift is almost medicinal for me.

I agree with everyone that ice fisherman are good people. Everyone seems to be willing to teach and share. That goes a long way for people like me who are new and full of questions.

Bring on the ice.

Vexilar