Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hamlin lake -Michigan

Spiral_Ice_Jr

• View Profile
Hello All,
My father and I are new members as of today.  I wanted to take a minute and summarize our recent trip to the state up north in search of some marble eyes.  12-27-13 we headed north about 5 hours to a top ice fishing destination we found in a ice fishing magazine. (Recommended by Dave Genz)
We were just a rocks throw away from Lake Michigan on the western part of the state.  We stepped out on the ice around 16:00, we measured 8" of solid ice and about a foot of snow.  Just as the sun set I hooked into a dandy 22 inch walleye. Not bad for my first fish through the ice, ever.  After that the fishing slowed down and we called it a night shortly there after.
The next morning we hit the ground running early. Stopped by a local bait store and picked up some emarld shiners and off we went.  After drilling a few holes we found some fish and set up shop.  We caught a few perch, then I landed a nice 24" Northern Pike on a ultralight with 4# test.  Shortly after that my Dad (SpiralICE) put a 19" walleye one the ice.
Overall we had a great trip and will return soon.  If you get a chance make the trip.
"The Walleye Wrangler"

ICE COLD

• View Profile
Wow, thats quite a trip for first time ice fishing. Good job on the eyes. We are heading to St Clair in a couple weeks, just hoping we can get into some perch.

g

• View Profile
Nice first fish through the ice. Personally, I am addicted to hardwater fishing. There is just something special about pulling fish through an ice hole. Congratulations and good luck on future trips.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice fishin guys  fun read and keep it coming   ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar