Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1/13/14-great fishing!!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hit Nimi this morning, 3 of us out, no IFO members though.  Ice was still good 4-5".  Edges were holding, but fading by noon when I left.  Didn't need to plank on or off, though I had one with me for safety.  Fishing was hot.  All 3 of us were getting bull gills, nice crappies and I got a chain pickerel.  All on waxies and jigs.  Chart, orange, red, and green were the magic colors.  Fished in C-5 bay.  Closer to campground, the weeds near Christman Road causeway are dying and the water is turd brown over there, but is nice and clear over closer to campground.  Was fishing in 5-6' just barely jigging, 2" lifts produced the most fish, though some came on deadsticks.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nice Chain Pickeral.  Bet  that was a suprise.  How big was he? Did you release him?
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
HUGE SUPRISE!  Never got one of those here before, didn't even know they were in there.  Tough to get a good measurement, he kept flipping around, but between 17-19".  I entered him in the online tournament.  Yes, I released him right after the photo shoot! ;D Didn't keep anything from today, though there were some nice fish I brought thru the holes, including a nice 10" bluegill.  P.S. It would look bigger if my hands were smaller (it really was 10").  

P.S.  Love the Navionics app on my phone.  That pickeral came from a new area of C-5 I never fished before.  I marked it, walked around a bunch, came back, and it put me within less than a foot of my hole!!  I love it, no more remembering spots.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:21:58 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Awsome catch slab, I haven't heard of any pickerel being caught in nimi for years I thought they had been eradicated
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wow nice surprise eh slab  :D  I haven't ever pulled a pickerel  from nimi   ;) are you sure that's not a blow up fish  hahahahahah
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I didn't know they were in Nimi either. Never seen one out of there before today.

P.S. I can give you the number for my blow up fish guy, he does great work! :P

Team Wilcraft!

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
Slab. Navionics is the bomb isn't it. I have a hand held and I'm thinking of giving it to my uncle. I never use it anymore.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Navionics is great. I'll never be on ice without it!

Team Wilcraft!

gimme ice

• View Profile
Great report. Thx. Sounds like a good day on the ice. Way to make it happen!  ;)

Vexilar