Ice Fish Ohio Forum

The Decision... Paint the house or wind and a cold front.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This weekend has presented exceptional circumstances for all of us. The front has further slowed the light middle ice bite. There are fish being caught, but the decision at hand is whether or not to contend with the wind for a short window of decent low-light fishing.

I've decided that there is enough ice that I am comfortable with waiting it out and getting on over the course of the next 3 weeks as much as I want.

Especially since I'm finishing 3 big spring projects now!

I look like a hero because I'm not out fishing (in the crap weather), AND... I'm working indoors!!!

What a plan!

Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i agree with u.  there is a fine line between loving to ice fish and knowing when conditions permit it.  i will wait it out and let the weather stabilize. planning on michigan next weekend anyway
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll fish thru a blizzard on the arctic circle!  ;D But not when I'm sick. I've had 2 acquaintances get this flu and end up dying from pneumonia this month. They both were only 50, and though I'm only 35, I'm not taking any chances.  I'm healing, but cough is awful. Going to wait for warmer weather Wednesday, and since my wife has the flu now, I'm in the process of cleaning the house top to bottom, including the laundry.  Can you say brownie points! ;D  Wednesday will be 2 weeks since I got sick, and I think I'll be safe not to get pneumonia by Wednesday. And.....will be able to fish unopposed for a while after that!!  I love it when a plan comes together!! :o
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
oh well , weather to me is just a thing,  ::) I will hunt or fish even in the worst of it, its all part of the adventure.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i guess at 52 ive lost a bit of my stamina. maybe its time for a new hobby
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
no my friend im 62  it just slows me down but besides my fatigue and aches I guess im not smart enough 2 sit on the couch...maybe someday I will be frozen 2 the ice with my fishing pole but look real close and you may see im smiling like a big dog... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
 ;D
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

MW-Fishing

• View Profile
Well for me it was a great day of ice fishing! ;D Never had to climb into a shanty because it just wasn't that cold or windy. The weather never seemed to be a issue.  ;)The temperature actually warmed up throughout the day. It got up to 33 degrees at on time. What was really nice, I got to go fishing with my neighbor which I didn't even know he liked ice fishing until yesterday. My neighbor and I started out slow, but pretty much caught them at will at our last spot including a muskie (my neighbor caught that one). I would say we caught a dozen and a half fish within the last hour. A few good gills in there too. I guess for me I'm lucky all my spring projects are outside and by then fishing will be the last thing on my mind with all that beautiful spring weather.  Remember the last five years of ice fish compared to this year. Might as well enjoy this year, because history never lies. We probably won't have a winter like this one for awhile.

Vexilar