Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Shanty info

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Been thinking about a Frabill outpost hub shanty, it's 70"x70"x80"

Here's what I wondering,

What's a good heater that will head this size shanty good, doesn't take up lot of room, has relatively good propane consumption, and doesn't put out a ton of carbon dioxide

Also I would like to know how to ensure the carbon dioxide levels dont reach a dangerous level, the shanty says its got some sort of vent system but i wanna play it safe
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
im gonna get a shappell dx 4000. lots of room and your feet arent resting on ice.  easy to pull with the ski system.   most shanties have some kind of a vent
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I got the DX 4000 about a month ago. It's very roomy and the skis are nice. Still can be a bear to pull in 4" or more snow but I bungee my sled with all of my equipment in top. The DX 3000 has the skis and carpet but not as roomy. But less expensive an lighter. The buddy heaters have a safety shutoff if levels get to high with a tip over shutoff feature also which is nice. I have the 4000-9000 Btu model and it heats my shanty fine. Usually you will have to vent just so they don't roast you out of the shanty.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I second the buddy. Safety shutoff so carbon dioxide levels won't become dangerous, and it'll heat any size shanty very warm. I have a Frabill Trekker and it's heated mine to where I've fished in a t shirt.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Bryan

• View Profile
I have the Buddy heater too, it works awesome and on low will almost roast you out of the shanty.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

joewallguy

• View Profile
Yes. You will love that shanty with a Mr.buddy.  no worries good to go. Hey I have a question also, I have a frabill trekker also, It has some tent damage and I would like to see about replacing it possibility with the upgraded thermal tent. Is this possible?  anyone know. Guess I could call and find out. Website no helpWorries

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Any suggestions on what model/size buddy? I'm kind of on a budget too I might add
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Not sure. I saw the insulated material too and want it. Think that's going to be next winters upgrade. Going to do some research in the off season and see if I can do a fabric switch, or if I have to buy a new complete shanty. We'll see.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Bryan

• View Profile
The smallest buddy (not sure of the model, they're around $75) is more than enough, I keep mine on low and have to open a window sometimes to keep from sweating.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

g

• View Profile
In past years, Lowes sells the buddy and other propane heaters at half price at the end of winter.

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Joewallguy I have a trekker too and I got a replace canvas from Frabill, but I did not check to see if I could get it in thermal.

wetline1

• View Profile
I had the little buddy heater. Not worth a crap. Propane can doesn't fit well in holder. Go figure. Purchased the Mr Buddy, and works very well in my clam Yukon.

Vexilar