Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Auger blade sharpening?

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
I guess y'all can go ahead an laugh, i have a Eskimo hand auger,...now that that's out of the way, I drilled some (actually probably more like alot) of dirty ice and my blades are pretty dull, I popped em off (talk about nerve wracking breaking the bolts loose)  and put them to the whetstone and sharpened fallowing the bevel like I sharpen my knives, not really confident I my ability to hone the edge perfect but I'll see how it cuts tomorrow. but further down the road, do you think if I took them to a knife sharpener that they woud do it? The Eskimo blades are flat with two bevel angles and a sleight curved relief at the center cut, so it would be a lot like sharpening a knife
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
Several years ago I took some to a guy that sharpens drill bits and such and they seemed sharp, but they did not cut the ice very well at all.

gimme ice

• View Profile

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
You can call Judy at the Old Dutchman in Westerville. She has a trade program. Turn in your old ones and she replaces them with sharp ones at a discounted price.

Dirty ice happens when fishing shallow or when the ice gets sand and small rocks in it and it is tough on the blades.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Do you think she takes blades for Eskimo augers?
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Damn that's 2 hours away, at that point it's probably cheaper to just buy blades full price instead of use that much gas driving there

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
You can give it the old college try but only sharpen from the bottom.  I just send them in and get a replace.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
tell ya the truth I was a machinist for 25 years and did precision grinding working within millionths, I have tried to sharpen my mora blades , by hand and finally I had 2 set them up on a magnet and dial indicate them in and try 2 copy the the concave angle using a diamond wheel...cut good at first but fizzled fast...I needed a tool sharpening grinder which we had but the set up was much time consuming to do 1 set...I suggest mailing them back , or find someone that has a trade in plan...if I remember somewhere on this site there was such a deal ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
tell ya the truth I was a machinist for 25 years and did precision grinding working within millionths, I have tried to sharpen my mora blades , by hand and finally I had 2 set them up on a magnet and dial indicate them in and try 2 copy the the concave angle using a diamond wheel...cut good at first but fizzled fast...I needed a tool sharpening grinder which we had but the set up was much time consuming to do 1 set...I suggest mailing them back , or find someone that has a trade in plan...if I remember somewhere on this site there was such a deal ;D

Yea I considered putting them on a surface grinder but figured with the curve theat I wouldn't be able to match it

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Mogadore bait did a great job on mine. I think it ended up costing me about 15 bucks. I talked to several people who did not want to touch them. I just mailed them in and they were back at my house in less than a week.
Anglers point on lake saint clair does a mail in sharpening service too. So far my buddy borrowed my auger and said he drilled about 30 holes and I had it in my pond today and cut another 6 and the edge has been cutting great!!
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Erie Tom

• View Profile
I mail mine to a guy in Orleans Michigan

Bud Hull 1 616 761 3969

Just sent a set  to him so I know he is doing them  and a great  job. Buddies  send  them  there too!

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Tom,
Let me know how it goes. Said he could do my back up set for my lazer mag gas auger.
Mogadore bait said they could not do the lazer mag blades so I wanted to send mine out to him as well. Also anglers point on Lake St. Clair said they could do mine. Was planning to drop them there  if I get up there again this year.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

Erie Tom

• View Profile
Best thing  would be to call him. I am sure  he can do them Mine come back seemingly sharper than new!!!

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Best thing  would be to call him. I am sure  he can do them Mine come back seemingly sharper than new!!!

Tom,
I am sure they would be good and sharp but I was referring to how they drilled after some use and how they hold that edge. if not done exactly right, they may have a great edge and cut great at first and then really decline sooner than later. Just wanted a report after some use.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons

Erie Tom

• View Profile
They are on  the auger for  the  last  two years. Used them yesterday  and cut through  the ice on pymatuming with no trouble. Must be 10 to 12 inches. I do protect them with  the cover right after use. They feel as sharp as when  I put them bsack on. Shaved   the ice like a snow cone!

Vexilar