Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Humminbird 587 ci dh do for ice??

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Ok guys I have a question and hopefully someone can help me with this. I am wanting to convert my humminbird 587ci hd di off the boat for ice fishing. This wasn't possible until last year with a new software update. It costs about $150 or so but  I think I can off set the cost by selling my fl-8. If I do it I will have lake maps, gps, zoom and a better color pallet as well as a digital read out for depth. Does anyone know about this or has anyone done it? How does it work? Is it worth it or should I just stay with the fl-8? I have a marcum too that I like a little better than the fl-8, that way when fishing with someone we each have a flasher. Any info and input would be great thanks guys.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I dont think the flasher on the 587 is easy to read and you wont like as well.

I would see if someone has one to view first before selling the fl-8.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Dave I played around with the flasher a little this year w it mounted on the boat. It seemed ok, but dont know how that will change with the ice ducer: I believe I can adjust the sensitivity once I get it. Will take some getting used to but I think with the trade of o having gps and lake maps it will be worth it. I will probably keep the fl-8 until I get it and try it out that way invade I don like it I still have 2 good flashers. And in hat case the worst thing would be I have 3 lol

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Keep the FL-8 and get the Navronics app for your smart phone. I have it on mine and love it. GPS  and Lake Maps..

I leave everything in sled when I get to the lake; turn on the app and walk to the spot I've picked out on the map and set up and fish. Easy to re trace your route out and back. :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

toadfish

• View Profile
I am not familiar with the humminbird 587ci but the question I would ask is does it read in real time or is there a delay between what is going on below b4 it is displayed on the screen, especially when the screen is cold.  That could make a big difference in your success on this ice.  I definitely see your need to cut down on the amount of gear needed to be transported to the ice!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
I believe I is real time, I have watched some videos on youtube of the 597 which is pretty much the same unit, and it looked pretty sweet. Guys used the flasher more bu also used the switch fire more which is a vertical sonar that shows real time. Pretty neat. I could adjust the sensitivity and color pallets. Jeff I have the navionics app on my phone and it does help but I have the card in this finder and I have marked spots and structure exactly with the GPS and would like to be able to access those on ice and have the ability to mark while on ice. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and give it a try, it's a couple hundred bucks but I think the gamble is worth it.

steelneyes

• View Profile
I have used standard sonar on the ice for years, and can attest to the fact that there is no "delay" with screens or electronics.  Currently, I'm waiting for the ice ducer to arrive for my Humminbird 999 which I'm going to do the same thing as the OP with.  Just retired my HDS 5 which I used for the last 5 years.  It's all a matter of what you are used to and comfortable with.  Navionics app is nice, but there are very few Ohio lakes that are HD and actually surveyed, most of the maps are the publicly available DNR maps.  With the full function of a combo unit and my mapping chip, I can adjust the lake levels which is huge, considering most of the inland lakes are drawn down several feet.
I'm all for weight reduction since we have to pull by hand and my combo unit even with an 8" screen only draws .75mA, one 10aH battery should last all day. 
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
The newer "boat" electronics work fine. The delay on most is about is about 2-3 times faster than the human eye processes images. I would be more concerned with cone angle and visibility on bright days. Its a very tempting idea to consolidate and travel lighter.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

steelneyes

• View Profile
As long as you get the portable ice ducer from the manufacturer, they are set up to have appropriate angle when fished stationary through the ice.   The one Technician would be using is 20/60 degree, 200 or 83 khZ.  Bright sunlight can be a pain on any display, which is why Vex and others come with the sunshade over them.  The newer units for boats have all went to LED backlight which should almost eliminate that problem.  My decision to go all the way up to an 8" for the boat was influenced by not having another unit that I only used during the relatively short months of ice compared to 9-10 months I typically get out of the boat each year.   
If money is tight, for $100 you can be using "boat electronics" plus anyone who knows me, knows I have a pretty bad history of destroying phones, so it's a good idea for me not to be using mine as a gps  ;D
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Steel you are right a it the ducer I'm going to get, going to go all the way and get the soft carry case and bat too. Also getting a mount and extra ducer for a small boat I have. That way depending I. What, where and how I'm fishing it's pretty much plug and play and I'm ready to go

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Sounds like you have done your homework. It will be interesting to see when you get it all set. I like the GPS idea.

Just not sold on the flasher yet but like I said before I haven't had enough experience to make a call on it.

We tried to play with one on the docks and could not get the sensitivity set correct.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Dave I have been considering this for a cpl years now; I think the biggest issue will be playing with the settings to get it done correctly. I really like having GPS, and the capability to mark spots and try spots that I already marked durning soft water. Plus the navionics chip is awsome!

Hillbilly

• View Profile
like i said on the other site, i doubt you'll go back to flashers.

the settings arent hard, and if you have questions, ive set-up enough units i can get you squared away. Once i get mine back out, i'll list the settings, which should get you well within range of where you need to be.

HB

Vexilar