Ice Fish Ohio Forum

If you plan to fish in here read this!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
A Park Officer (Columbus Recreation and Parks Department) took a few of us off twin lakes today. It is apparently unlawful to ice fish on ANY of the ponds, or lakes. 
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Really? I thought if you looked up oshay on the states website it said ice fishing was allowed. How was the ice? Did you catch anything?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's a bummer  ???  did ya get fined or anything bad ?
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
that's a bummer  ???  did ya get fined or anything bad ?

6" of ice. I didn't even get to fish. I just received a warning. Ive been fishing there for 10+ years nobody has ever said anything.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
What side of the road were you on?  I don't think he's right.  Figure you could call the ODNR office Monday if you wanted.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
All the parks are ran by Columbus. I emailed Columbus Recreation and Parks Department and this is what they said.

"We do not check the ice thickness and therefore always consider it unsafe. You can certainly fish from the banks of any of our ponds, but entering the pond or waterway is unsafe.
Thank you,

--CRPD 9.14 Fishing. No person shall: (A) Engage in fishing in violation of Ohio R.C. Chapter 1533. (B) Bowfish except on Hoover Reservoir north of the second bridge upstream from the dam. (C) Use nets, buckets, or methods other than pole fishing to harvest fish from ponds which are solely contained within park boundaries, except Antrim Lake.

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sounds like if you don't use a tipup you're good to go. Our poles are just a little shorter! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

GovBarney

• View Profile
You stated that it was Columbus Parks and Rec...?  He is out of his jurisdiction, Twin Lakes is in Shawnee Hills, not Columbus.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I will check into more on Monday. All I know, is when the law man says go… I go.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Also pretty sure twin lakes is part of oshay. That's governed by the dnr and the state. Let us know what you find out.

GovBarney

• View Profile
Ill be pissed if I cant ice fish there anymore, closest place to my apartment to fish , and I have had some great days fishing it in the past.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Ill be pissed if I cant ice fish there anymore, closest place to my apartment to fish , and I have had some great days fishing it in the past.

Me too. I have an inside source with the DNR I'm hoping he can help.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

GovBarney

• View Profile
Someone on another forum said that " Columbus owns the land under and around Oshay.  Ice fishing isn't illegal though (unless it's a new rule).  Call ranger cell phone with any questions: 614-648-6019"

ERFishers

• View Profile
Sounds like you were fishing the west side of the road. That is a preservation area. Prob is considred a pond. Sign in the entrance says preservation so that may be the issue. Just my 2 cents.

Vexilar