Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Help Out the Local Bait & Tackle Shops

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Not only is late ice playing havoc with my mind, but moreso for the locale Bait & Tackle Shops. I know 2 that are ready to close their doors.

HEY GUYS: THEY NEED YOUR DOLLARS TO SURVIVE.

Please patronize them NOW.

A CASH MOB for them would be wonderful!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:37:54 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I agree whenever it's possible, cabelas or Walmart won't give you a local fishing  report or ice conditions! Not that cabelas isn't a nice place.  You just get a little more personal with the local guys!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What does it matter which 2 shops I know are in trouble.  ALL THE LOCAL, MOM & POP BAIT/TACKLE STORES ARE IN FINANCIAL DIFFICULTY.

The point being.... Visit the shops near you. Spend a few bucks versus spending some at Walmart, Cabela's, Dicks & Gander Mtn.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

fishingful

• View Profile
I know you pm'ed me but if that is in reply to my post......I asked that question so   I could make sure to go spend some money at the particular shop that's having trouble. No reason to be upset with that question.

I mainly hit mogadore bait because it is close to my house. But am willing to drive a bit to help another shop out.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Not upset nor any harm taken., I'm just not sure they want it known.  But in all honesty, I dont know one "Mom & Pop" Tackle Shop doing well these days.

My point being: Visit the shops in your area.  You just might be pleasantly suprised by their inventory, knowledge, honesty and overall "blue-jean" atmosphere.

PS: The Fish Tails (TALES) are Plenty.... AND FREE.

steelneyes

• View Profile
Some may already know this, but some don't, so without being too specific...
The small individually owned shops carry specifically what we may need, a special jig that works locally, a set of auger blades when we make a trip and find out ours couldn't cut anymore etc...
They are individually owned AND financed, via loans or someone's life savings etc. to try to make a dream work. 
They don't  have the buying power of large chains or big box stores.
Most importantly, they don't get the terms that the large stores get.  Little if anything on the floor at a large retailer is paid for as it comes in.  They have terms that allow them to sell through inventory and then re-order before having to outlay the cash for the initial order.  That is where they make their profit.

No one minds a good deal, but consider dealing with your local shop before you click on the send button online or walk into that major retailer.  Know that none of these shop owners are getting rich, and as IBJ said, many of them struggle to keep the doors open.  They are working on very slim margins and yet still manage to stock tons of inventory. 

Sometimes they can compete or beat the prices at the big places too.  Bring cash and ask, they all pay an extra percentage to the card companies who we all know, are not hurting.

Support local, and of course our site sponsors as well, spend some of that Christmas cash at your local bait shop. 

Disclaimer...
I do not own a shop, but have worked for and owned small businesses of my own.  I know from my own experience that they will make things RIGHT if anything goes wrong, reputation is everything when you don't have national advertising.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

A@C

• View Profile
Good post guys! Something else that hasn't been mentioned ! Rather then stopping at the gas station ,or wherever in the morning for a coffee and smokes how about giving it to the guy who keeps u in bait during the season.  Need to consider these guys all year not just when we need minnows !

Vexilar