Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice 1/8/14

Jsillanpaa

• View Profile
Sitting out on Fairfield point by the channel right now ice is very spotty I found an area with 3-4" of ice only 10 feet from shore. This weekend should be ice ready but the clarity is the issue. I think the spillway is still running full bore. Hopefully I get into a few eyes before sunset I'll probably have to put on a 3 ounce vibe so they can hear and see it haha. Be safe if you try to come out!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great info.  Thanks for the update!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Thanks for the report. I was wondering about ice conditions there. Fished it last year for the first time and can't wait to try it again this year. Please keep us updated on ice conditions at Buckeye.

Jsillanpaa

• View Profile
Out again today the wind is howling and the ice is extremely spotty but we are sitting on 4" of clear ice in front of the house island at Fairfield it took us about an hour to spud our way out. Behind us towards the marsh is very dangerous 1" of crust ice in spots. Sunday or Monday could be when it's all ready. We've landed some dandy saugeye I'll post pictures later.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool. I was just talking with icebucketjohn and telling him I bet the ice is thicker and better in the middle of these lakes with the conditions we've had. Problem is its so sketchy and dangerous to get to it. Took you an hour to reach it. Kudos for doing so properly and safely, not just charging out there. A good lesson for all of us.  Great post!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

icefshrman31

• View Profile
     Heading home from Houghton Lake. 135 car pile up on I 94. The state is evacuating the area. Deaths, etc. SNOW everywhere. Tough trip home. Was hoping to go back up tomorrow with fishinsam.... but can't find him. Don't have the heart to try skim ice at Buckeye.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow!  What a mess. Arrive home safely, we should keep building ice all weekend!

Team Wilcraft!

Jsillanpaa

• View Profile
2 snowmobiles just flew by brave souls they are

fishinsam

• View Profile
Sitting on 6 1/2 inches in front of boos with jsillanpaa. Caught one good 19" eye. Marked a few and we're making lots of ice still since places that are a little soft so be careful. Will be out checking harbor hills and farther out by the marsh later today and tomorrow.

Jsillanpaa

• View Profile
Last night we got a few keepers let them go though fishinsam got a big one no measurement and I can't post the picture but I'll figure it out by the end of the night. We caught a ton of short cigar sized saugeye hopefully we get into more hogs today!

g

• View Profile
Are you going tomorrow Jsillanpaa? I fished Buckeye 3 times last year but the only spot I know is Fairfield Beach. I live in Xenia and is 1 1/2 hours away so I would like to meet up with someone to fish with.

Jsillanpaa

• View Profile
Won't be out for a few days gotta head back to work but Fairfield is a good place to catch fish.

Vexilar