Ice Fish Ohio Forum

bonus fish today

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
got out today for a bit at a local watering hole and didn't catch any cat fish,  ;D ;D   but did manage a few pan sized trout with one GOLDEN TROUT as a bonus....those fish are cool looking .....along with a monster gill in the mix...... ice was 4 +
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:37:13 PM by snowcone »
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool!  I've got Goldens in west Virginia but didn't know they were stocked here in Ohio. Great catch!   That monster gill should give you at least 2 meals.  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Like to catch trout but don't care to eat them. They do put up a good fight. I agree the Holden's are cool looking fish. Nice job snowcone. You must have had your drag set perfectly to land the monster gill without breaking your line or rod. Keep it up.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I  love to catch trout, they do put up a good fight but , small pan size are the only ones I eat , the bigger steelies from erie don't make it to my table.  and that monster gill was one heck of a battle   heheheh,       

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
GOLD!!!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I don't think it is advertised but, the state stocks Antrim lake the day before Thanksgiving with all their steroid breeder trout. you can't ice fish it, but there is a lot of goldens in with the rainbows. They're anywhere from 3 to 6 pounds.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
Like to catch trout but don't care to eat them. They do put up a good fight. I agree the Holden's are cool looking fish. Nice job snowcone. You must have had your drag set perfectly to land the monster gill without breaking your line or rod. Keep it up.
  your missing out , keep them alive until the pan/oil is almost ready ,then clean and cook them . It's a meal you won't forget . If you keep then after they die they loose all their flavor . Try a shore lunch , you won't regret it . :P

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Hey Crv I think they quit doing that at Antrim last year or the year before. Or that was the rumor I heard. Maybe they just quit posting it.

fool4fish

• View Profile
not to butt in but antrim was one of my favs in the fall thats when they used to release brood stock then they just went to spring release mostly smaller size and more aimed toward youth n handicap far as i know they still get em every spring at the same time as all the rest of the recipient lakes you can find the list and amounts on odnr page they actually put quit a bit out all over the state lots of inner city ponds i was told the state no longer has use for brood stock because we purchase inceminated spawn out west colorado i believe for way cheaper man i miss them fatty trout in the smoker nice catch sno cone pm me if you get down my way soon
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Fisnfool

• View Profile
I carry a stove for a shore lunch on fresh trout.

For ones I take home that do not survive the trip, I soak in a brown sugar / brine over night.  Then into the smoker they go.

Or bake stuffed with crab meat.
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yea there is a good deal of stocked trout in ohio, even in places a lot of people don't even know about 8)mmm...stuffed with crab  ;D that sounds really good . where abouts are you fool4fish?  I haven't fished antrim, I guess I always run out of time. to bad there is no ice fishin ...tell ya what those erie steelies that go about 8-10 lbs sure are fatty, but they make the house stink real bad when I bring home 2 clean... :-X

fool4fish

• View Profile
East Columbus sno cone but as u know soft water Erie is my second home tell ya what I will watch close this year first ice out I mean 10 ft hole they start hot n heavy at Antrim mini foo style jig tip with waxxy small float them fish that don't get caught put on the weight maybe we can get into em and as u may know state record was caught the day of the fall release olentangy floods over into there and some eyes get in there n pork up too caught em on rattle traps at dusk before
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
4fish, sounds like your close to good water down there, I know what you mean about erie, I have a 16.5 ft crestliner w/90hp merc, and lorain to wildwood is my haunts but I like new spots......antrim sounds like a fun spot,

Vexilar