Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need some experience advice about night lights

fool4fish · 26 · 14762

fool4fish

• View Profile
i had this crazy idea of using a submersible hydraglo light right down a hole at night for crappie n eyes any ideas if this can attract in winter pattern pretty experienced in soft water but curious bout winter thanx in advance 
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Good question. I havnt tried it but I heard it works in open water. I would think it could be done on ice. Keep us posted on how it works.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It works. And it did for me tonight again. However, I don't put a light down the hole. That's never worked well on ice for me though. It does work in open water. But on ice I think it's too much light down the hole. I position a lantern or now my lighted shanty over the hole and the light shines down in. Works like a charm. Busted the crappies again tonight on Nimi.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fool4fish

• View Profile
thanx slabslayer after further research my conclusion brought me to the on ice idea versus in hole so i already gathered all my recharge lights i use for softwater fishing and got them charging gonna try a big area and kinda make a lighted field with my tip ups then on the hydaglo n gonna do an experiment and post the results dave i thinking i may drill a hole down n try to keep from punching thru then set the hydra glo in the hole versus in the water n see i dont know anything about nimi but i was curious what depth was u fishing in with the laterns tonite slab ?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We were in about 8-10 feet on the edge of a hole in the weed bed. There were other guys with no lights that weren't catching and didn't stay long. Light is the key at night, but with Nimi's super clear water you went indirect light. Like a lantern positioned next to a hole and shining down.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

fool4fish

• View Profile
Thanks slab I'm trying this technique at buckeye Fri night pulling an all nighter n fishing all day Sat will post my results thanx for your tips

fool4fish

• View Profile
well the night didnt bear any fruits for me i set up 3 different areas one direct in the hole the second shinning thru clear ice near my hole and 3 just a lantern in the area i was fishing the only action was a flag up no fish tho and it was on the holes with light shinning thru solid ice near the hole i am gonna try more subtle lantern approach next outing im on the fence with it being productive for eyes with their night predator orientation but will keep trying to develope a pattern

fool4fish

• View Profile
well happy to say stayed at the evening bite with two lanterns in the open this evening and got 2 keeper gills n 2 keeper crappie kept the fish around an extra two hours first time getting gills that late  ;D

FatherNson

• View Profile
Does anyone know if minnows work for crappie on Nimi?  We used a light over the holes, caught a few keeper crappie with maggots.  Wondering if minnows work better???

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If the fish are aggressive, yes. If not minnows work great to call them in. We used one rod with a minnow and then had one with a wax worm. Many times they'd come in to investigate the minnow but eat the wax worm.

Team Wilcraft!

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
ordered a green l.e.d. submerseable light from broadway tackle in georgia,will post results after i receive it and give it a try,supposed to draw in plankton which draws in minnows which draws in fish,thats the theory anyhow.  ???
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

FatherNson

• View Profile
Thanks slab.  We'll have to try "tethering" a minnow to one hole to see if we can draw in crappie.   :D  We were discussing the other night whether a light by the hole helps, and how to submerse a light.

fool4fish

• View Profile
i gave it a try n didnt have any luck with it jury is still out may give it another shot it seems submersibles are too intense im going to try laying one on the ice in my area i like this method hope someone has sum luck 8)

snag

• View Profile
I've had decent success using one of those Styrofoam crappie lights.  The ones that are for sitting on top of the water.   The draw back to one of those is you have to take a battery with you.   

fool4fish

• View Profile
I see the intest has stayed with the topic and it's drawn me back in so I'm gonna try it again tonite I've been on a panfish bite that's been pretty routine so I feel I got a better median to test this one thing I feel helps is to be set up and continue your lights with the sunset to keep your fish biting after dusk versus showing up in complete darkness n blasting a new light and popping a bunch of holes for those intrested I'm trying several methods n I will post results with a breakdown of each ;)

Vexilar