Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:52:34 AM

Author Topic: crappie are on fire  (Read 18089 times)

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
crappie are on fire
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

A little indy crappie catch today , lost several at the hole, bite was very very very lite

Nboldman407

• View Profile
Re: crappie are on fire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »

What area

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:51:06 AM »

punched over 30 holes with a hand auger to find fish, the only hints are, go in the pad beds where there are not guys walking around and dragging sleds over the beds, use glow baits tipped with red spikes. Had 2 holes side by side , 1 dead sticking , the other a bobber, the crappies wouldn't move the bobber, the only way I was catching them  I was watching my vex , slowly putting the bait in front of them and all you could feel was the weight. Good luck , the best part of fishing is the hunt ........sometimes

alfredo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »

nice catch.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »

Nice mess of fish. Sounds like you got your exercise drilling all those holes but it looks like it was worth the effort. Good job.

triton189

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »

Great job! Did they hit in the morning or evening? I am going out this evening.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »

by the time I traveled around the lake punching holes, it was mid day bite. I should have stayed there but I pulled up stakes and went on the hunt for saugeyes around 4 pm. I was headed there this morning but my coil took a dump on my truck half way to Indian, in the shop now, but I don't think they'll have it done til monday. Good luck all, stay out of the crowds when in shallow water!

triton189

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »

Thanks for the info! I am will be up this afternoon/evening before the storm. Hopefully, the front will turn them on.

Bryan78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

I did really well back in Lucy's pond early. Bite stopped around 10. Few nice crappie and caught probably 40 gills. I was fishing near the drop off in the channel with wax worms. Chartreuse ice ant jig caught the most. Had something real big on. It looked like around a 4lb saugeye but I didn't get it up out of the hole.

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:38 PM »

Spent 10:30-2:30 punching almost 2 dozen holes all over Lucy's Pond with no bites.  Left and headed to the east side of the lake.  No luck there either.  We'll get them next weekend.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »

Lucy's pond normally is an early ice bite, at least that's what I've found to be true for me. Dunn's pond holds fish for quite some time, I do pretty good back in there almost all season long. Long Island can be a hot bed for all fish, crappie ,gills and even the eyes, but it gets so much pressure and there are guys walking all over the place dragging sleds. Pony Island is a great crappie hot bed and with a little more walking you can get away from the crowds and find some awesome fishing spots. Grab a topographic  map and see where the deeper water is that contains pad beds, take a buddy, a vex or any type of fish finder , punch a ton of holes and go on the hunt. They are there and will bite, I'm just not the guy who punches 2 holes and waits on the fish to find them,  I like to have a bunch of holes drilled, let them settle down and then just start hole bouncing looking for fish. Let's do our part around the lake and police up all our trash, even on the ice. Parking can be a bitch so be as respectful as you can and let the state get the roads plowed before we start fishing again. Have fun all, fishing the algae pond for the next week

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »

Great Post. Thanks for helping us with these educational posts!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 05:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the info Wapak.  It was only or 2nd time ice fishing so we are still learning.  It is nice to get a little fishing done in January.  It definitely knocks off a little cabin fever.

triton189

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 06:03:05 AM »

I hit Indian yesterday afternoon and the bite was on...! In fact it looked like others were having success as well. Mainly bluegill with some really nice crappies. Northland glow jig green..they were very color selective yesterday!

Bryan78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »

I caught fish on all colors yesterday but they were hitting a chartreuse ant jig the best. Today they were hitting a white/chartreuse jig but i caught them on different colors as well. Only one crappie today but it was a nice one.
Pages: [1] 2

Pages: [1] 2
Print Print

Vexilar