Ice Fish Ohio Forum

newb, please read/important

esox · 3 · 4719

esox

• View Profile
Greetings,
  Been fishing the b.o.w.'s, (bodies of water), in neo for a good 5 decades.
Not surprisingly, the quality of fishing in size and numbers is a shadow of what it once was, especially the pans.  For example, I could fish Pyma or Mosquito and keep 100-150 crappies 11 inches and up while releasing that many or more smaller fish. That's right, if the fish was under 11 it would go back down the hole. There were countless fish over the years in the 10.5, 10 3/4, inch range that were released as 11 inches was my personal size limit. I figured the 11-12 inch plus fish, (a 12 and up being a true slab), were the oldest fish and the life span nearly maxed.
  These days, (and actually for quite a long time), 8 and 9 inch fish are deemed slabs and killed. Not to mention the huge numbers of smaller fish that are killed. The slaughter of smaller 4-8 inch fish is appalling. Mogadore is an excellent example, a place where virtually every fish is killed regardless of size as there is no size /bag limit. Same with gills.
  Unlimited catch and kill combined with the algae blooms can and does finish a b.o.w. Just take a look at Wingfoot. The weeds are nearly gone and have been replaced with worthless stringy algae. Weeds are vital to a good fishery. For every ton of fish, 2-3 tons of insects are needed to maintain a good, viable fishery. Weed eradication efforts are decidedly counterproductive as weeds are needed to maintain a healthy insect forage base as well as rearing and foraging areas for the young of the year/1-3 year old fish that absolutely need the insects as forage until large enough to eat other fish. Once the photozone, (depth of light penetration), is reduced via algae blooms, the weed growth is diminished as the weeds will only grow to the depth of the photozone. There was a time when Mogadore was covered with weed mats that extended 10-12 feet to the bottom. Now it's closer to 4-6 ft. or so due to algae bloom. The fishery is more of a green algae/gizzard shad/bass food chain as opposed to an insect/crustacean/sunfish, bluegill/bass food chain due to the reduction of the photozone/weed growth via algae bloom accelerated by agri. fertilizer, livestock/cesspool runoff.
  This and other forums should encourage the D.O.W. to halt all weed eradication programs such as grass carp and chemical methods and do what it can to minimize nutrient runoff.
  And hey D.O.W., how about a size and bag limit at the urban b.o.w.'s such as Mog. Wingfoot, and LaDue just as there are at Mosquito and the Mahoning river impoundments for example.
   I propose a statewide mixed bag limit of 50 fish per day with no more than thirty fish of any one species. Crappies/perch must be 9 inches or longer and 'gills at least 7 inches or longer and maybe a slot limit for the 'gills.
  Is this to restrictive? How about some thoughts/opinions on the issues.
  Good to be here and perhaps I'll see you on the ice.
  Esox.....

fool4fish

• View Profile
esox i appreciate ur piece i have nowhere near your experience in neo i am from columbus one of my best softwater fishing partners is 71 and he is my boss me being only 34 i have heard a great deal about our states decline my boss got most of his experiences from his families weekend cottage near the mouth of the sandusky river /bay and this last year he returned with me to fish it some 50 years later what an experience to hear and see all he had told me in stories and i have to say it gave me a great concern for our fisheries future all i can say is sportsman have to unite and hold theirselves accountable and he is very much into being proactive about these issues and he has said it takes a congressman or governer getting tired of hearing from informed united sportsman for us to make real progress i dont know if thats the answer but i feel united sportsman need a voice with ur experiences thanks man
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree 100%.  I've said that panfish of all species need a limit. Both size and quantity. The lakes can't sustain the pressure we're putting on them. Your observation of Mogadore is spot on. It's tough to find nice red ears anymore. Regulations like you're suggesting are years overdue!  If we had them the big fish lakes like mosquito and Mogadore might still be producing. I understand lakes cycle, but over harvest can kill the trophy fish population in a lake.  Your comment on weeds is dead on also.  You have to have deep healthy weeds for a successful bluegill and crappie lake. Thanks for your observations!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar