Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:51:24 PM

Author Topic: Heading to Indian lake  (Read 5099 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Heading to Indian lake
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »

I'm heading to Indian lake today for the first time in 3 years. I used to fish suageye here so I'm familiar with the lake but I've never fished the hard water here. Anyone got some hints tips or hotspots for catching some panfish up here?

toadfish

• View Profile
Re: Heading to Indian lake
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

Find some lily pads around the old part of the lake and keep moving until you find some active fish.  Good luck!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Bryan78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »

Anywhere around long island has been producing. Not a lot of crappies but the ones I've caught have been 11 or bigger. Green or chartreuse and white/chartreuse has been good. Bite was slow today due to the front.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »

When I hit the ice, I got a decent idea on the depth of the area I'm in, but I drill holes all over the place or use existing  ones. I look for the edge of the pads, drops or it might even be a log that got froze in somewhere. I'll punch 5-10 holes, clean em out, then walk from hole to hole with just my fish finder looking for any type of movement below, I don't sit on a hole and wait for the (pan) fish to find me. Some days I might make a complete circle around the lake looking for fish, (parking can be very frustrating ) .  If I were you, I'd start at Pony Island and to to find em, stay away from high traffic areas or the guy who sitting on a bucket looking off to now where, he ain't catching em, and he ain't looking for em. It seems to me, the later the season the farther they move out of channels and closer to the main lake.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »

We ended up fishing between pony and Long Island. Ended up with some nice bluegill and some really nice crappie. Caught them any where from 6" to 18" off the bottom. Caught them on red spike tipped tear drop jigs and glow slender spoons. And 90% of the crappie we caught after dark.

triton189

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »

I did good on Saturday afternoon with the bite peaking at between 4-5 pm. I had the most success on a Green & White Northland glow jig tipped with a wax worm. I had mostly gills but as others have mentioned caught a few crappie and they were all over 11".

ICE COLD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:59:33 AM »

We fished all day Saturday and ended up with some nice crappies and eyes. Caught the eyes on gold pimples and gold vibees. Biggest eye was abou 3.5 pounds and full of eggs. The crappies we had to downsize and just go with an ice jig tipped with a spike. If we used wax worms we couldn't buy a bite. Wouldn't think it would matter but it did. Caught most of the crappie around 2-3 pm.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar