Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice hole diameter 10"rule

CrapPie

• View Profile
Question..If your fishing hole is not to exceed 10inches across is it legal to fish a 8in hole you drilled 2days ago that is now 12inches due to melt? Just a interesting question I was wondering about do to the great amount of thought the state puts into some of these ignorant laws..Someone inlighten me.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I would think so. You didn't make it 12" nor do you have a 12" auger on the ice. If you're not responsible for the large hole I don't see how you could get a ticket for it if all you have is an 8" auger in your shanty/sled.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
agreed , you didn't drill a hole larger than supposed to  .    no sweat  :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

nixmkt

• View Profile
Question..If your fishing hole is not to exceed 10inches across is it legal to fish a 8in hole you drilled 2days ago that is now 12inches due to melt? Just a interesting question I was wondering about do to the great amount of thought the state puts into some of these ignorant laws..Someone inlighten me.

Good chance you could get a ticket.  Reg states "may use holes no larger than 12"."  Therefore if its more than 12" when you're using it, no matter who or what made it, you're breaking the law.  It is possible they would let it go if its obvious that it was due to melt but better not count on it.

And its not an ignorant law.  Its a very logical attempt to reduce the chances of someone getting hurt from falling into an unnecessarily large opening some idiot may cut in the ice.  People use axes and all kind of things to cut holes of various sizes and shapes in the ice.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Nix good point on people falling in holes.So far 2 yeses and a no. Im not sure there is a striaght answer.Maybe it just boils down to the mood or character of the warden one may encounter.. Hopeing to hear more from others and possibly any experiences with this issue with warden or rangers.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good point on the odd holes nix. I saw a guy cut a hole about 2' square with a chainsaw once.  That is super dangerous.  I said something to him and he had no idea of the regs and never thought about somebody falling in the hole. Good topic for safety awareness! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
shoot sometimes I step in my own holes and bust my arse,  ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

toadfish

• View Profile
I saw some duck hunters cutting very large holes with chainsaws at very early ice.  No laws about that but there is for icefisherman.

I agree that even 12" holes are large enough for someone to put a leg in.  I even worry about losing my Vexilar down a 12" hole.

I think that as long as you don't make a hole larger than 12" diameter or 12" wide on Lake Erie, you should be OK.  Even those who enforce the law know that we can't control the weather.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar