Ice Fish Ohio Forum

regular fishfinder for ice fishing

kortis04

• View Profile
Has anyone ever used a regular fishfinder through the ice?  Was looking around on the internet saw a few things.  Was wondering if anyone has tried it.  I have an old one in the garage i may take out to try.  Any suggestions?

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
actually yes, I have been using my fish finders for a very long time they work good. I even use my rechargeable drills battys with them for power.i have mine inside this wooden box with an old lamp bendee thing to hold the transducer so I can bend it to fit in the hole, transducer needs to bee at bott of ice to work well...and a trick on clear ice just pour some water on ice and hold transducer on ice ,and if you have selectable frequencies use the lower one , has a wider beam , im lucky because my garmin 50dv also has a flasher so I can switch back and forth...  hope this helps
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Sure did, when I was living in Idaho use to use my Hummingbird off of my boat. It helped but it was not in live time like the flashers are now. At least you would know there was fish around which beat sitting around a dead hole.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Caught a lot of 3-8 lb rainbows back then with the old Humminbird.

kortis04

• View Profile
I started it last night.  Going to try it at nimi today.  Just have to cut my pvc down and i think its a go lol.  There are just so many options on the fishfinder.  Should sensitivity be high or low or what?

toadfish

• View Profile
Try to set the sensitivity just high enough to pick up your jig at the depth you expect the fix to be.  You can then see your bait in relation to the fish.  Try to fish just above a marked fish to get it to bite.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar