Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Weather and how it effects fishing

Green Pea · 17 · 10420

Green Pea

• View Profile
Weather Underground has a very informative chart that shows a barometric pressure line rising and falling along with other relevant data. I'm trying to use that information to pick good times to fish or at least see if what I've heard holds true.  So here's my question;

Is fishing considered to be favorable when the air pressure is low?  My father in-law said "it's not necessarily when it's low but when it's steady".  Precipitation plays a part in feeding patterns as well from what I've heard.

So what do you go by or know in regards to weather and fishing? 

Thank you to everyone who takes a minute to leave their two cents.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
i seem to do better when the barometer is rising above 30 and or steady, below 30 is usually associated with a cold front,and you know how that affects fishing,thats my 2 cents on it. :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
It's all about the fronts, wind, and cloud cover to me. I've found right before a cold front moves in they can really turn on, likewise during a warm front. They know it's coming way before our weathermen do IMO. I'm sure BP plays a part but that means more analyzing for me which I don't want to do lol. For example, today here in Mentor it's sunny and a lil warm front has rolled in. I would guess it may be a good day to go IMO. My $0.02.

g

• View Profile
For me, a higher pressure (above 30.20) even if it has been steady for a few days, is tough fishing. When it is around 30.00 or a little higher or lower is when I seem to catch more fish. On Erie 2 weeks ago the pressure was 29.98 and falling in the morning and we caught 25-30 walleyes between Nate and myself. Falling BP works better for me but you can't catch them if you don't go.

fool4fish

• View Profile
I swear your my twin green pea I've been wondering the same the only thing I've keyed in on before snow is good for me but not during and during a rain I've done better so how those situations apply to bp rises or falls is all I got to go on so far
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Green Pea

• View Profile
All of this is great information. There was talk on here the other day of keeping a journal. I have thought many times to keep a log of the weather and sky conditions to see if any of it corolates to my results.

I have also heard that durring a storm fishing can be good. I remember several years ago sitting with some buddies on the bank of the reservoir at night catching Carp using corn. It was raining like crazy but we we're slaying them so we stayed and sat though it.

Thank you for the replies

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I always do great when it storms, seems like the fish love it...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I agree, I've always done well right before a storm hits and during as well.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Green Pea

• View Profile
Ok, well unless it changes we should have a storm of types this weekend. Get this; neither of my three boys have anything going on with school or sports this weekend. My wife hasn't mentioned anything or anywhere we are suppose to be SO......... I AM FREE TO FISH THE ENTIRE DAY ON SATURDAY ;D

So now I have to make a decision. It's either Indian or Buckeye Lake. I have never been to Buckeye and haven't made it over to Indian this year. Decisions decisions...

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
High Barometer/Low Barometer/Steady Barometer, Falling Barometer, Rising Barometer.... Cold Fronts/Warm Fronts...

Heck, I don't watch it much.

I'm out ICE fishing whenever I get the opportunity to do so.. PERIOD.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Sunday should be perfect.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

FatherNson

• View Profile
Pressure is high 30.25 but looks like it's falling,  so that may be a good sign.  Suppose to snow some tomorrow, so coming precip sounds good. Most people like  a barometer that's moving.  Low pressure is never good. Anyone know if Mogodore has picked up, or is any good?

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
My results ateasy in the winter Id different from most of you, I do better with low/falling pressure. And I have found that the deeper the water the more pressure plays an affect. Just think about it the fish already have all that water pressure bearing down on them, now add high atmospheric pressure to that and I think it causes them discomfort. They use air and pressure to equalize there swim bladders and I think high pressure just bears down more on them and they aren't as active. Just my thoughts. I have noticed that if there is a very sharp rise or drop in pressure it can drive them nuts and they go into a frenzy! All that said I fish when I can, but expect better results on different days.

Green Pea

• View Profile
These are all excellent observations which is exactly what I hoped this question would generate.

I hope others will continue to chime in. Thanks again.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I don't pay that much attention on the ice and head out either way but always wonder.  I have a handheld GPS that tracks the pressure and graphs it.  Been thinking about letting it run and see if I could pattern a trend. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Vexilar