Ice Fish Ohio Forum

lure size

Poll

Has anyone else had to drop down to size 16/18 jigs to get bites?

yes
1 (25%)
no
1 (25%)
I don't own any that small
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've been having to drop down to tiny tungsten gill pills and other micro lures to get bites. The size 16/18 ones tipped with a single maggot. I've got got big ones that way, and also lost a lot because the small hook, but it's the only way I can get a bite. Your thoughts?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I would have to bet smaller insects are hatching under the ice now and you are having to match the hatch. Just my 2 cents.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I never went that small until this year.   Bought a about a dozen size 16 and a dozen 14 tungsten earlier this year and have pretty good results so far.   I normally use size 8 or 10 but have downsized this year.  I am a big fan of the tungstons tho.  I use 1 and 2# test and pound them.  They really thump.  I guess it depends on how clear the water is.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Me too on the 1 pound line. It's all I use for bluegill. Sometimes I'll step up to 2 pound for crappies.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
im using big jigs and loaded with waxies and being aggressive jigging , and doin good    ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:40:50 PM by snowcone »
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar