Ice Fish Ohio Forum

sunday 1/17/16

MWD2418

• View Profile
Trying to find out what the ice is like. Drove there yesterday it look covered  but I am kind of new at this so i am trying to find out how to know when its good out no the ice and how thick it is

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I have only fished Buckeye a handful of times and always out of Fairfield beach area.  Even with "good" ice I have been told that the north shore can be sketchy FWIW.  I've caught good gills, crappie, and saugeye usually near primetime early or late day.

Good luck and be safe!

MWD2418

• View Profile
That's where I have gone in the past. But I've went out with  another person that has been ice fishing for a while. And I am just starting to start going my self.

g

• View Profile
It's not a good idea going out by yourself unless other people are out there too. Always nice to have people around to render assistance if needed. Spud your way out or drill test holes to check ice thickness. Always carry ice spikes or screw drivers tied on a string to help pull yourself out in case you go through.

MWD2418

• View Profile
Thanks g for the tips. I did not mean by myself I plain on going with some one. I mint that I how have all the gear that I need to go out and not wait for someone with gear to go out with. I am hopping to get out this weekend does anyone know a good place around the lake to get live bate.

g

• View Profile
Can't help you there, sorry. I live near Dayton and bring mine with me. Good luck and be safe.

Vexilar