Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Palm Rods

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I got 4 Jonntu rigs with 2 of each strike indicator for each rod. I'm also planning on getting a couple of the ones from sportsman's direct.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
I'm leaning towards the Ankara rods. I'm thinking different colors for different line sizes. Banker have you ever used clear sewing thread for ice line? If I remember right it ends up being 1/2 pound test. I used it many years ago then I got away from it for a while and remembered while reading this. Probably the heaviest line I will use is two pound.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
No but it sounds like fun!
I clearly use vicious 1lb for some but have to experiment with lines line Stroft and Sunlines Japanese brands not available in the US to get the half pound test on either side of 1lb
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Fish2Win

• View Profile
Hey quakpot, why don't you bring some of the Columbus boys up for the tourneys?? There a great time with good panfish lakes.

quackpot

• View Profile
I need to learn those lakes I'm having a rough time up there. When I come up it's more of a sudden decision. Who knows what this year will have in store for me.

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I travel up that way a good bit and frequent Marks Bait and Tackle when in town may be looking to do s seminar next week Tues or Wed
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

quackpot

• View Profile
Well I just ordered four Akara SK palm rods with spring bobbers. Ordered two different colors so I can keep line sizes separate. I also ordered some artificial spikes and wax worms.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sweet!  Let us know what you think, I might order a couple of you like them.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I ordered a spool of 1 lb. to put on two of them. Not sure what I'm going to put on the other two. Got two different spring bobbers, that will help make the decision. Ordered $50 worth of plastics from a different company.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I'm gonna order a palm rod or two myself. Was also looking at some shorter ice rods. All the rods I have now are like 27 or 28. The only 17 in rod I saw that I liked was the st croix legend. Anyone have any other suggestions?

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a short 17" Jason Mitchell sight fishing rod that I love. Very sensitive and good feel and action.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I have some older ones that are really short that were great in small areas. Not sure how short they are, they didn't have much action unless you used spring bobbers.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Yeah I think I may go with the st croix. I really don't like rods without reel seats. Don't know why it just bugs me. And the other st croixs I have are super sensitive. And it has a spring bobber that comes on it.

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Go with the gold st croix if you can both are fragile (Italian) but gold is more durable broke 10 rods last year ;) 3 were st croix 2 silver one gold but the gold was totally my bad
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Some good palm footage in this recap video from last year
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yTng0B28F0
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Vexilar