Ice Fish Ohio Forum

WHERE TO ICE FISH

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
HEY YALL

I AM NEW TO THE SITE AND I LIKE IT VERY MUCH. I LIVE IN THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE STATE EAST OF CINCINNATI AND WE USUALLY DONT HAVE MUCH SAFE ICE TO FISH AROUND HERE. I WAS WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE THE CLOSEST LAKE TO ME THAT I COULD FISH ON A REGULAR BASIS THAT USUALLY HAS SAFE ICE? I AM NEW TO THE ICE FISHING WORLD AND DEFINITLY WANT TO GET INTO IT. ANY INFO THAT ANYONE HAS WOULD BE GREAT .

THANKS

WELDERHILLBILLY

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The closest I could say would be Kiser or Indian but that is a 2 hour drive any other questions you can message me and I would be glad to take you out on Indian or Kiser
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You have the option of going up 75 and hitting Kiser and Indian, or heading up 71 and trying your luck around central Ohio possibly Alum or Buckeye. Indian Lake is shallow and freezes pretty fast (usually.) Just keep up to date with the forums and see who might be going out, especially since you're stll kinda getting used to the sport. There is no safe ice, there are only safe iceanglers. We'll help you out all we can, but unless we get a really good cold snap, you're probably going to have to do a little driving.

Good Fishin'

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
THANKS YALL

I APPRECIATE THE INFO ON THE LAKES I WILL LOOK THEM UP . ALSO HAS ANYONE TRIED THE HUMMINGBIRD ICE-35. I WAS THINKING ABOUT ONE OF THOSE OR POSSIBLY THE VEXILAR FL-8. THE FEATURES LOOK SIMILAR. ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS

WELDERHILLBILLY

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
we have a new hummingbird and love it the only thing it doesnt do is set the hook

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Depends on what you want to fish for, indian has a good mixxed bag, lots of eater size eyes, huge perch, gills, and decent crappies, its hit and miss so for the drive i would plan a couple days trip. buckeye lake has a good mixxed bag also its simular in many ways to indian, alum is a good crappie spot, it also is a good eye lake if u know where to fsh and from my exspereince the eyes seem to be alittle bigger when u do get on them, alum doesn't have the greatest ice right now so if ur planning to go soon i would plan a trip to indian. but remember no ice is safe so be careful.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
THANX

IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL HAVE TO DO INDIAN LAKE OR BUCKEYE LAKE. I PROBABLY WONT MAKE IT OUT THIS SEASON BUT I WILL USE THE SUMMER TO GATHER MY EQUIPMENT FOR MY WINTER FISHING. IM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING MY HANDS ON A VEXILAR SO I CAN USE IT IN MY FARM PONDS AND POSSIBLY SOME NEARBY CREEKS. THE ICE DOWN HERE ISNT VERY SAFE BUT I CAN USE IT IN SPOTS WHERE I CAN GET ON A SOLID PATCH OF ICE. MY FISHING HAS ALWAYS STOPPED IN THE WINTER TIME AND I AM EXCITED TO START FISHING ON THE ICE. IT IS WHEN I HAVE THE MOST SPARE TIME, WHY NOT USE IT FISHING! 

WELDERHILLBILLY

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Before you go out and buy the gear- good luck doing it during the summer also..or even now for that matter- go out with one of us and/or show up at next years Demo Days to learn what's working on the ice today and prioritize you purchases. I have an open seat in my 2 man on Saturday and am okay with us meeting up to ice fish this year. Call me at 734-740-4410
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar