Ice Fish Ohio Forum

C.J Brown fish??? Do they exist?

panfish_hunter

• View Profile
What does everyone catch at C.J brown? The only fish ive encountered have been dink crappies/bluegill and perch with very low numbers and average size channel cats. Ive kayak fished the lake the last 2 years and ice fished it one.Pretty frustrated because I live fairly close. I always do good at Kiser and Indian . Is this lake under populated with target species or is it just me???
Addicted newbie

Buffy

• View Profile
My husband and I have ice fished up there a few times, getting better results on the other side of the lake from the marina. We've also fished from shore and our boat. We've caught some very nice crappie and white bass as well as channel cat. Our better results were using bass minnows and we'll use minnows next time we get on the ice. Spikes mostly caught dinks. We've never caught anything worthwhile at the marina, but we're not regulars and don't know the best techniques to use there. Still looking for a keeper walleye.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I tried it a couple times through the ice last year by the marina and never did any good but I know guys that do well up there. And a buddy of mine was up there this spring just testing his boat before we went to Erie and he said there were guys killing big crappie. And ice seen pics of nice eyes out of there. So I believe they are in there I just haven't fished it enough to give you much advice. I'll prob try it again this year. I'm too stubborn to give up and is the closest lake to my house that gets good ice.

panfish_hunter

• View Profile
With the ice being how it is this year I doubt ill spend time at CJ. Just doesnt make sense to when Kiser produces better for me at least during the wet season. Will scout it out better this spring .
Addicted newbie

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
CJ has some good crappies but dock dabbing has never done it for me. I have done well on the drop off's on the outside of the marina. On the north side near the handicap ramp there are sunken trees. The "Friends of CJ" have dumped a lot of trees and cover in the lake and it has helped. I have some coordinates for some brush on the old road bed and it always does me some good along with some good areas off the point. If we do not get good ice that lake would be hard to produce what it holds. I don't know of any good protected near-shore areas. Future not looking bright, maybe next spring in a boat!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Vexilar