Ice Fish Ohio Forum

braided line

g · 8 · 4306

g

• View Profile
Is it necessary to use a mono backing when using braid on a spinning reel? I know you need mono as a backing on level wind trolling reels or else the braid can slip so it won't wind on the reel. Just wondered if slipping will happen on spinning reels too.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
You can avoid slipping with braid by putting a piece of tape on your spool before lining. But I use backing for the simple reason that mono is much cheaper than braid. Plus braid will last a couple years without relining. So with backing one 300 yard spool will do at least 2 reels.usually 3. 100 to 150 yards per reel is plenty. BTW I use power pro. Been the best braid I've used. Haven't tried my gamma yet

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
try a wrap of Teflon tape then use the triangle on the side of the spool to hold line ,start spooling on line  , the secret is to keep the layers tight . power pro is round braid , my personal choice. been using braid along time and it is un forgiving when it comes to tangled knots, but it fishes sweet. 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
Thanks. I use power pro on my trolling reels and love it too.

quackpot

• View Profile
I use a piece of the tag holding the line to keep it from spinning. I did look at a newer pfluger spinning reel at mikes today that is made to use mono or braid. It has rubber lines made into the spool to keep it from slipping. I didn't buy one!

g

• View Profile
It must not have been an ice fishing reel. lol

quackpot

• View Profile
Be nice Grant, I bought combos and rods Saturday morning. I also bought two soft side bags. Two of the rods were Stcrois. I'm not saying how many that makes. Lol

g

• View Profile
I would be scared to ask how many rods that would make. LOL. I may break down and buy a new reel for the April outing. It still seems to far away for my licking.

Vexilar