Ice Fish Ohio Forum

13 Fishing Teardrop Reels or Black Betty

Downthehole

• View Profile
All,

Has anyone tried the 13 Fishing Teardrop Reels? They are a little on the expensive side and the reviews I read this morning didn't favor them.....

Update: Also the Black Betty Reels - anyone used one?

Thanks....

Andy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:30:50 AM by Downthehole »
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have and have used both. The teardrops seem to be a little better for bigger lures and spoons. The inline reels like the black Betty are my go to for 80% of my ice fishing for panfish.  I like the no line twist, which the teardrops also have. But the inline reels are lighter and for me are more controlled with a light line presentation.  They're a lighter reel, so for a big fish I'd choose the teardrops, but if I was only buying one or the other, it's definitely an inline reel like the black betty. I use jigs light as 1-100 ounce with mine and they're great!  Put them on a Jason Mitchell rod and it's a phenomenal setup for panfish!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Downthehole

• View Profile
Thanks Slab....great advice!
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The purchase & usage of a mico-swivel to prevent line twist is one hell of lot cheaper than buying a new reel.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Vexilar